Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eligible for Discover CLI Tomorrow

tag
JoeRo
Valued Member

Eligible for Discover CLI Tomorrow

Tomorrow marks six months with discover, and I'm up for a credit increase. My limit is currently $2,500. They are by far my highest limit. My credit is only a year old, and they gave me that limit with just a capital one secured for six months.

How much of an increase should I ask for?

My fico has went down due to an auto loan I took in January. So I'm at about 670. But that was with a $900 balance on discover, which I have since paid down to 300.

Would it be worth a hard pull if they request it?
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Eligible for Discover CLI Tomorrow

$7500 they will counter if not given good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 20
JoeRo
Valued Member

Are you sure that won't trigger a hard pull?
Message 3 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I believe they counter with a SP, but give an option for further processing. The further processing will result in a HP.

That is my understanding of it at least.
Message 4 of 20
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@JoeRo wrote:
Tomorrow marks six months with discover, and I'm up for a credit increase. My limit is currently $2,500. They are by far my highest limit. My credit is only a year old, and they gave me that limit with just a capital one secured for six months.

How much of an increase should I ask for?

My fico has went down due to an auto loan I took in January. So I'm at about 670. But that was with a $900 balance on discover, which I have since paid down to 300.

Would it be worth a hard pull if they request it?

Regarding the HP, that's up to you to decide if it's worth it to you. 

IF I were in your shoes (and I was there at one time!), I'd be conservative and request a CLI to $5000.  That's still a good CL, and since you said that the current $2500 is by far your highest limit, I think Discover, a conservative company, would be more inclined to go to $5k, depending on your payment history with them.  Helps that you've paid down a balance.  Yeah, you might be able to get more, but frankly, I doubt Discover is going to give you a 3X increase.  That usually only works with AMEX, though anecdotally some folks here get those kind of CLI.  However, with your scores, you're not quite there yet; give it time and you will be ! 

Message 5 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 20
JoeRo
Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I would like to get five thousand. When my utility is around five percent my fico is usually in the 690s the past couple months. That's lower than when I was approved initially, but I have a much thicker file.
Message 7 of 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Is there anyway to request 3k and not trigger a HP??...your credit is still fairly new.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 20
JoeRo
Valued Member

So I hit the CLI button and it says that they can't process it because the site is having technical difficulties.  Oh well.  I'll try again tomorrow.  I don't want to call and get a HP crazy customer service rep.  I've heard the reps are more likely to use a HP.

Message 9 of 20
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Sometimes they wont allow you do CLI after 6 months period.

One of my buddie call in and request and they grant it without HP.

They always ask you if HP required.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.