Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elusive Cap 1 CLI strikes again...

tag
amkari
New Contributor

Elusive Cap 1 CLI strikes again...

This time on a $300 credit steps card opened in April 2012.

What was supposed to be a $200 increase (to a whopping CL of $500) became $2000 today for a total CL of $2300!

My wallet now consists of:

Cap 1 Cash Rewards     $2300     0% till Feb

Secured USAA Amex     $1000     9.99 %

Lane Bryant                    $ 750

Orchard Bank MC           $ 500      14.99 %

Avenue                            $250

To be fair... since opening Cap1 and Orchard I know I've pushed at least $5000 through the Orchard and probably only slightly less than that through the Cap 1.  I think the majority of the Cap 1 usage has been in the last 2 months or so.  Orchard has been the primary card because of the 2% cash back vs 1.5% on the Cap 1.

It absolutely could not come at a better time!  My 3 yr old is having surgery to repair a nasal fracture in the morning... I'm looking at probably $2400 out of pocket after insurance.  She doesn't jump on my bed anymore...  poor kid. At least I no longer have to worry about juggling cards for the bill and I can carry it on the Cap 1 at 0% until after the holidays.  :-)

Mar 2012: 03/31/2012 - FICO EX 599 (auto loan pull) EQ 593 TU 602)
Oct 2012: 10/25/2012 - EX (tenant screening) 655 - EQ (myfico.com) 641 - TU (myfico.com) 622
Aug 2020: FICO 8: EQ 690, TU 685, EX 688
700s or Bust!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Re: Elusive Cap 1 CLI strikes again...

good for you on the cli and best wishes tomorrow for your daughter.

Message 2 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!  Am glad I kept my silly $400 Orchard card post-acquisition, perhaps similar things will be coming in the future for those cards as well.

Best wishes for  your daughter's surgery and recovery.

        
Message 3 of 14
luckelle
Regular Contributor

oh wow. best wishes

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 4 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

What??!!!

I have had a card with them for 2 years.  I closed one of the cards I did have with them because after 2 years the limit was still $500.  I can't believe this!  The second card only got the Credit Step to $500.  I have spent much on the card and seldom use it because of their policy.  My scores are about 100 higher than yours!  I have over $10,000 in available credit and they never budge.  I have a utilization rate of about 20%, no lates, no over the limit, PIF, all around!  My utilization is only that high since I loaned a card to my sister and she accounts for 15% of total usage.  I think I would freak out if I woke up tomorrow and found my limit that high on the card.  Seriously, I might die of a heart attack if that happened. 

In fact, the only reason I have so much available credit is because they won't budge.  If they had given me a limit like yours I would have 3 cards and no more, well maybe four for best reporting.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Bern, it's a very recent change. Maybe beginning of October but I'm not so sure we can call CLI's from C1 elusive anymore Smiley Happy.

Is nice to see them playing up the credit stack though; good for the market and for us.

        
Message 6 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol congrats to you!

Maybe Crapital One is starting to become competitive again?!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
Bern, it's a very recent change. Maybe beginning of October but I'm not so sure we can call CLI's from C1 elusive anymore Smiley Happy.

Is nice to see them playing up the credit stack though; good for the market and for us.

I actually asked them again for a CLI and got the same old reply.  We don't give customer initiated CLI's and are reviewing our policies on CLI's.  Please be patient while we take (6 months, a Year, a century) to do so. 

I used their card for 7 times it's credit limit or more in the last year and 3 times it's limit in one month alone.  I imagine they hope I will somehow go over my limit, ha, like that will ever happen.  I even prepay the card at times.  I transfer balances from one account to it then pay it off so they have to go through the hassle of it.  It might not cost them much to do so, but it does cost them something!  I asked last month if they could cancel the annual membership fee on my account, so they waived it.  Actually, they waived it twice last month and once this month when I made sure I only asked if they would cancel it.  I made sure I noted that I was not asking for them to waive it, but to cancel it completely.  I let them do whatever they wanted, but made sure to never ask they waive it, just completely and forever.  Their mistake, not mine!  A total of $127 I never asked for. 

I will ask them to cancel it again next year when it is due and probably close it the moment they decide not to waive it!  I guess it is basically payback for when the lady cancelled my card because she misunderstood what I said.  I was overseas at the time and I had to force them to express a card to me.  It was good until the day I got back to the US.  However, they did not mail me an actual replacement card, so they then express mailed that to me also.  They are not the brightest bulbs in the sockets. 

Remember, when you deal with them to choose the right words carefully, so they can't make their own mistakes and you can benefit. 

I still find CLI's elusive, but am hoping to sign on and find a surprise one day.  I actually signed on and checked again, just to be sure.

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 14
john398
Senior Contributor

Congrats, was this an Auto CLI?

Also if there is no customer inititaited CLI, why do they have the Luv button at all?

Good luck to your daughter, glad it all worked out

Message 9 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Congrats, was this an Auto CLI?

Also if there is no customer inititaited CLI, why do they have the Luv button at all?

Good luck to your daughter, glad it all worked out

Luv button?  I have never seen that on their site.  The only thing I have is in the search section a message that says call 800-955-7070.  If there was one could it actually even be called a Luv button for them?  I think it would have to be named a hopelessness button for them.  Maybe it is not there for me because I have their $39 a year card?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.