Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing Credit Cards

tag
daylove
Regular Contributor

Re: Embarrassing Credit Cards

@DI wrote:

Hypothetical question.  If you were out having lunch/dinner at a high end restaurant, and someone within the group pull out an Orchard or First Premier card, would you be embarrassed?   I expect to see meals being paid for with an AMEX card or some other uber card. 

Since most cards are issued based on a score, Not on financial backing(except outside the US) what would be the point to be embarassed since your Amex green or gold does not prove you actually have any financial stability or any special status. Would you be embarassed driving around with Warren Buffett because he drives an old Buick?

Message 31 of 104
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

As started already, I woudn't be embarrassed as long as their card wasn't declined, then I'd be embarrassed for them.  Now if I happened to notice (who does that anyway???) which card they used to pay for the bill, certain cards would make me wonder (and that's probably because of this board).  For instance, if they paid with a green, gold or platinum AMEX charge card, I would assume they were serious about not carrying debt vs. someone that paid with a credit card, where the temptation to carry a balance is there.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 32 of 104
JonStur
Established Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

I think the embarrassing kind are those that get declined, no matter what brand they are. IMO Smiley Indifferent

+1

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 33 of 104
CS800
Super Contributor

Before starting to repair my credit, I didn't pay too much attention to credit cards at restaurants but now I look around but the restaurants generrally have the leather holder thing that covers most of the credit cards.

That said, if some whoops out an Orchard or a FP card, it wouldn't even be a big deal. My take would be that they might be trying to repair their credit and in my mind I would be thinking. I hope they keep their util under 10% Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 104
JonStur
Established Contributor

As long as they are paying their fair share I wouldnt care..we all started somewhere.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 35 of 104
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

@DI wrote:

Hypothetical question.  If you were out having lunch/dinner at a high end restaurant, and someone within the group pull out an Orchard or First Premier card, would you be embarrassed?   I expect to see meals being paid for with an AMEX card or some other uber card. 

Would not cross my mind. Probably wouldn't notice. If I did Absolutely NOT.

Message 36 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is wise to avoid passing judgment on ppl with credit problems or who use HSBC or Orchid Bank or FP cards (like many of us have used ourselves.)  You can have a high six figure income and a Centurian card and yet be less than a year away from a 500-600 credit score if some drunk driver with no insurance hits your and you find yourself permanently disabled or you suffer a stroke in pregnancy or your company goes belly up unexpectedly and now you are 900 miles from the best and only comparable job offer you can find (but you can't sell your $750,000 home.)  True, it takes hard work, discipline and "grit" to pull your score up from the dumps.  But instead of "embarassing hypotheticals" let's all consider how much we have to be thankful for (that's just my opinion.)

Message 37 of 104
fot1
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@DI wrote:

I would hope not too many people are that shallow but I'm afraid there are some snobs who would notice something like that and be embarrassed.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Agreed..

Too many to list..
Message 38 of 104
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I think it's interesting how much of a response this question got, and how similar and strident the responses are about not judging anyone for any reason (seemingly, or at least not judging anyone for any credit-card-related matter.)  For one thing, there is a valid point that most people outside avid credit-repair or credit-improvement circles don't really know much, if anything, about the nuances between different issuers and what those might imply about people carrying their respective cards.

But people are, to some degree, status-conscious; it's just part of human nature, although the degree varies widely and the criteria varies widely.  I think the many and vocal protesters "doth protest too much," (LOL.)  Anyway, some of us have admitted that we have a Hooters Card (I admit to being a snob who denounces the whole Hooters idea but I needed credit and yeah, I'd probably carry a Playboy Mansion card if I were in desperate need of credit and that were the only way - extreme LOL.)  But some of us have admitted to being somewhat embarrassed about that card and modifying where we use it, accordingly.  Mine is paid and I can't wait to put it in the history books, btw.  It was fine while I needed it.  Actually, I'm keeping it, but for the specific purpose of probably one online payment I make every month.

Most of us don't actually peer at the cards of others, though, and most of us couldn't care less about nor even understand the nuances of various AMEX levels, though, which is why I think most of us said we don't judge on that basis.  Where I live, some people try to achieve status with their cars and clothing, I guess, but I've never been around people who look at each other's credit cards.  That would be weird... maybe I don't get out enough, though.  I probably just live such a pedestrian life that it never comes up; corporate dinners aren't part of my lifestyle.

Contributor

I am fortunate enough to make better uses of my time than worry about what plastic someone pulls out of their wallet.

What about legal immigrants who come to this great country, and begin to establish their credit history with the likes of HSBC, etc.?  They could have stellar credit records in their country of origin, but no one would know this by the little picture and name on their U.S. card(s). 

The only thing I would find embarrassing is being in the company of someone who DOES care about the picture and name on a card.  Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.