Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing Credit Cards

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Embarrassing Credit Cards

@DI wrote:

Hypothetical question.  If you were out having lunch/dinner at a high end restaurant, and someone within the group pull out an Orchard or First Premier card, would you be embarrassed?   I expect to see meals being paid for with an AMEX card or some other uber card. 

I'd let them know I'm leaving the tip & thank them for lunch!!

In the back of my mind, I might think for a second...I remember being there...it get's better.  I may even bring up the topic of my credit journey at a later date.  Just to give them the knowledge & tools that I stumbled across right here so many years ago.

But be embarassed?  Never.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 101 of 104
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

If it's not an Amex Centurion, JP Morgan Palladium or a Citi Chairman... then there's nothing impressive about it nor does it do anything to hint towards others the illusion that you are of a higher status/class.

Think of credit cards as if they were cars.

People who drive a Ford Fiesta (Orchard) might not turn heads and just because you drive a BMW (Amex Gold) you assume you are better then them, but in actuallity no one turns their head for your BMW (Amex Gold) either because almost every other car (credit card) on the street is a BMW (Amex Gold).

Now if you drive a Bentley (Centurion), Ferrari (Palladium) or Lamborghini (Chairman), THAT will get my attention and I will think to myself "Wow, that's impressive.  That person must be rich!"

So to me a credit card is a credit card until someone pulls out something I rarely see.

Great analogy!  I know no one turns their head at my (actual) '95 BMW 318 (with the dent in the door)...which is on par with my nRewards from Navy Fed.  What they really don't see is the fact that my car has lasted me forever (237k+ miles) with almost NO issues, and my Navy Fed has given me my highest limit at my lowest rate yet at 25k & 9.9

The moral...never judge a book.....

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 102 of 104
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I hope my Batman "Bat rewards" card will be honored when I go shopping on Rodeo Drive tomorrow. Smiley Sad

I'd use my Cap1 card with my kid's artwork that says "I love daddy" on it

Message 103 of 104
MsCreditSavvy
Established Member

Embarrassed? Never! But heck if my little sucky Orchard Card with its sucky CL can cover the tab at a high end restaurant then Im A-OK! 

Raymour & Flanagan $10,000 | Barclays Apple $8000 | Macy's $7600 | Walmart $7500 | Best Buy 6800 | Sears Citi MC $6000 | Care Credit $5400 | Amex BCE $5000 | Capital One $5000 | Cap One Venture $5000 | Cap One Quick Silver $5000 I Citi Thank You Preferred $4700 | Discover IT $4000 | Citi Simplicity $3900 | Merrick Bank $3300 | Dell $2000
Message 104 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.