Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing Credit Cards

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Embarrassing Credit Cards

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I think it's interesting how much of a response this question got, and how similar and strident the responses are about not judging anyone for any reason (seemingly, or at least not judging anyone for any credit-card-related matter.)  For one thing, there is a valid point that most people outside avid credit-repair or credit-improvement circles don't really know much, if anything, about the nuances between different issuers and what those might imply about people carrying their respective cards.

But people are, to some degree, status-conscious; it's just part of human nature, although the degree varies widely and the criteria varies widely.  I think the many and vocal protesters "doth protest too much," (LOL.)  Anyway, some of us have admitted that we have a Hooters Card (I admit to being a snob who denounces the whole Hooters idea but I needed credit and yeah, I'd probably carry a Playboy Mansion card if I were in desperate need of credit and that were the only way - extreme LOL.)  But some of us have admitted to being somewhat embarrassed about that card and modifying where we use it, accordingly.  Mine is paid and I can't wait to put it in the history books, btw.  It was fine while I needed it.  Actually, I'm keeping it, but for the specific purpose of probably one online payment I make every month.

Most of us don't actually peer at the cards of others, though, and most of us couldn't care less about nor even understand the nuances of various AMEX levels, though, which is why I think most of us said we don't judge on that basis.  Where I live, some people try to achieve status with their cars and clothing, I guess, but I've never been around people who look at each other's credit cards.  That would be weird... maybe I don't get out enough, though.  I probably just live such a pedestrian life that it never comes up; corporate dinners aren't part of my lifestyle.

Are you suggesting that we're all disingenuous? Smiley Happy

Message 41 of 104
DI
Super Contributor

@DI wrote:

Hypothetical question.  If you were out having lunch/dinner at a high end restaurant, and someone within the group pull out an Orchard or First Premier card, would you be embarrassed?   I expect to see meals being paid for with an AMEX card or some other uber card. 

Thanks for the replies you all!  Again, this was only a hypothetical question.  I didn't think it would get so many answers.  All the answers are very interesting. 

To answer my own question, I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone uses an Orchard or FP over an AMEX card.   True, I'd expect someone to use an AMEX or some other uber card, but personally, I don't care how the meal is paid for.  Like many others have mentioned, as long as the card is approved, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. 

Message 42 of 104
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@DI wrote:

@DI wrote:

Hypothetical question.  If you were out having lunch/dinner at a high end restaurant, and someone within the group pull out an Orchard or First Premier card, would you be embarrassed?   I expect to see meals being paid for with an AMEX card or some other uber card. 

Thanks for the replies you all!  Again, this was only a hypothetical question.  I didn't think it would get so many answers.  All the answers are very interesting. 

To answer my own question, I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone uses an Orchard or FP over an AMEX card.   True, I'd expect someone to use an AMEX or some other uber card, but personally, I don't care how the meal is paid for.  Like many others have mentioned, as long as the card is approved, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. 

I don't understand this.  If this is what you really expect, then it sounds like you think that persons with less-than-stellar credit should not be eating a fine restaurants.

For the record, I'm not certain what qualifies as a high-end restaurant anymore.  These days, I judge a restaurant based on their kids' menu.  If they offer more than grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken fingers, and if they have crayons and coloring pages, then that's high end for me.

Message 43 of 104
DI
Super Contributor

@Lel wrote:

@DI wrote:

@DI wrote:

I don't understand this.  If this is what you really expect, then it sounds like you think that persons with less-than-stellar credit should not be eating a fine restaurants.

For the record, I'm not certain what qualifies as a high-end restaurant anymore.  These days, I judge a restaurant based on their kids' menu.  If they offer more than grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken fingers, and if they have crayons and coloring pages, then that's high end for me.

That is a very interesting assumption.  Now, you have me thinking this is how AMEX profile it customers which may prompt a F/R.  For example, if one has a Gold card, why are you using it at McDonalds and etc.  Is their income sufficient enough to carry that type of card?  Only one way to find out and that's a F/R. 

Message 44 of 104
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@DI wrote:

@Lel wrote:

That is a very interesting assumption.  Now, you have me thinking this is how AMEX profile it customers which may prompt a F/R.  For example, if one has a Gold card, why are you using it at McDonalds and etc.  Is their income sufficient enough to carry that type of card?  Only one way to find out and that's a F/R. 

Back when all I had was a Gold card, and once I got past the initial new-card nerves, I used it everywhere, including the Mickey D's drive-thru. AmEx never seemed to have a problem with my thousands of gallons of Diet Coke.

I know that you went into all your various CC adventures, including the back-dating thing, with your eyes wide open, and I'm certainly not neener-neener-ing at you, but there is no reason to think that where you used your card resulted in your F/R. IMO, it was all the calling and requesting and over-nighting and backdating and everything else.

It's fine if anyone wants to do this --we're all grown-ups here --but it's also widely understood that to avoid troubles with any lender, you DON'T stick your head up out of the foxhole unless you absolutely have to. Yes, I do call CS every now and then, but not often, and only for normal stuff (compromised card, change of address, etc.), and with American Express, that seems even more important.

Again, FWIW, I wouldn't give my tax forms to anyone for a CC, but that's a matter of individual choice. Hope it goes well for you in the end.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 45 of 104
DI
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@DI wrote:

@Lel wrote:

Back when all I had was a Gold card, and once I got past the initial new-card nerves, I used it everywhere, including the Mickey D's drive-thru. AmEx never seemed to have a problem with my thousands of gallons of Diet Coke.

I know that you went into all your various CC adventures, including the back-dating thing, with your eyes wide open, and I'm certainly not neener-neener-ing at you, but there is no reason to think that where you used your card resulted in your F/R. IMO, it was all the calling and requesting and over-nighting and backdating and everything else.

Those were not reasons why I got selected for F/R.   My account manager stated my information needed to be updated.  I moved 11 months ago which resulted in a change of income, living expenses and job.  I did not update my profile   with them.  There's a place on AMEX's website to update one's credit profile.  If one's credit  profile on record isn't matching up with what was submitted in a recent application, it may prompt a F/R. 

Message 46 of 104
vish1
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

I thought a lot before I could answer this question and my thought is...

May be many people don't know FP/Orchard is sub prime, but they sure know what cards are prime (based on known banks and remember that they also have a credit history)

So FP/OB may not be as negative to everyone but Chase/Amex/Citi etc when presented indicate that you are financially stable and have maintained your credit well.

It's like having a small car may be no bad, but having a big one is great and shows off some stuff...

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 47 of 104
jobber123rd
Valued Member

This thread reminds me of that AMEX commercial from a couple of years ago where a guy pulls out a card with a comic book superhero design to pay for a business lunch and gets laughed at by the Germans at the table ("That is a kindergarten card!")

I couldn't care less if someone used Orchard or FP to pick up the check, because if it weren't for some connections that I had through my mother's military service and job (which got me into USAA and a local CU, respectively), I would have needed those to rebuild my own credit. As long as it picks up the tab, it's okay for me. I will admit that I would take notice if that person pulled out an AMEX Centurion card, though.

Message 48 of 104
laz98
Senior Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

So FP/OB may not be as negative to everyone but Chase/Amex/Citi etc when presented indicate that you are financially stable and have maintained your credit well.

i really have to disagree with this.  it may not even be their own account, it could just be an AU card.  i don't think it says anything at all about your credit.

honestly, i think people are so busy being shallow about other things that they never get around to looking at people's credit cards, unless they are specifically interested in knowing about them.  i would think that mostly happens in the higher income brackets, where everyone is trying to see if they are keeping up with the joneses well enough, & making sure they have the "right" cards/suits/cars/whatever.

Message 49 of 104
aftermath
Established Contributor

If it's not an Amex Centurion, JP Morgan Palladium or a Citi Chairman... then there's nothing impressive about it nor does it do anything to hint towards others the illusion that you are of a higher status/class.

Think of credit cards as if they were cars.

People who drive a Ford Fiesta (Orchard) might not turn heads and just because you drive a BMW (Amex Gold) you assume you are better then them, but in actuallity no one turns their head for your BMW (Amex Gold) either because almost every other car (credit card) on the street is a BMW (Amex Gold).

Now if you drive a Bentley (Centurion), Ferrari (Palladium) or Lamborghini (Chairman), THAT will get my attention and I will think to myself "Wow, that's impressive.  That person must be rich!"

So to me a credit card is a credit card until someone pulls out something I rarely see.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 50 of 104
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.