Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassing Moment

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Embarrassing Moment

@Anonymous wrote:

So, today we went to a research conference in Pittsburgh (my home graduate school is in NYC, but I do travel a lot for conferences).

As usual, I walked into a Dunkin Donuts to get a XL black coffee (yes, I don't like Starbucks Smiley Tongue)

swiped my Arrival+, declined!

then tried my ML American Express, declined!

(felt like I have poor credit already atm and the line is very very long)

then I tried my British Airways, declined!

(I only bought 3 credit cards with me today and other than that in my wallet there only exist couple two dollar bills that has been in there since middle school)

(also, the cashier and those probably undergraduates are obviously annoyed or ... just amused haha)

I gave up the coffee and walked out ...

Anybody experienced something like that before? I guess I should have bought more cash ... and of course with no disappointment - I received 2 fraud alerts emails right away from Chase and Barclay's after like 1 minute I walked out of DD ...

So these are fraud alerts from an unusual location for you?   Bad luck it was on all three cards.

I had declines on two cards at CVS, and like you, just gave up

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@obageegee wrote:

When I travel I always carry at least 7 CCs and at least two debit cards. I have a $20 in a pocket on my belt and I always have at least $100 in cash. I also have about $20 worth of change in my Truck's console for good measure.

+1 always be prepared

I should start doing that ... can't just rely on plastic.

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So, today we went to a research conference in Pittsburgh (my home graduate school is in NYC, but I do travel a lot for conferences).

As usual, I walked into a Dunkin Donuts to get a XL black coffee (yes, I don't like Starbucks Smiley Tongue)

(I only bought 3 credit cards with me today and other than that in my wallet there only exist couple two dollar bills that has been in there since middle school)

(also, the cashier and those probably undergraduates are obviously annoyed or ... just amused haha)

Anybody experienced something like that before? I guess I should have bought more cash ... and of course with no disappointment - I received 2 fraud alerts emails right away from Chase and Barclay's after like 1 minute I walked out of DD ...

So these are fraud alerts from an unusual location for you?   Bad luck it was on all three cards.

I had declines on two cards at CVS, and like you, just gave up

Well yea this is the first time I'm in Pittsburgh ... granted

Message 13 of 37
BlueRenew
Contributor

I had that happen at ikea to.

It was with my NFCU cashrewards card I tried it twice and it declined,

I just got my QS1 but hadn't activated it so I had to use my debit card. Woman Sad

My 7 Cards

NFCU CashRewards: $7,500 I Discover It: $4,000 I Sallie Mae: $2800 I Amazon Chase Visa: $1000 I Amazon Store Card: $900 I Cap1 Quicksilver1: $750 I Macys Store Card: $600
Message 14 of 37
Enclo537
Valued Member

Yes haha. I was on a date, everything was going great until it was time to pay for the food. My card came back declined. I ended up having to split the check since I only had only half, I asked my date if she could put the other half. She wasn't bothered but I was really, really embarrassed. Worst thing was, it was valentines day.

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 641
Goal Score: 700+ across all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@brisae, Id be pretty annoyed too if I wound up having to use a debit card. Lost rewards and protection
Message 16 of 37
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently in Pittsburgh, I split my time between here and DC. I live within a mile of CMU and PITT,  Ill be happy to buy you your coffee Smiley Happy 

Message 17 of 37
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

I had this happen at a gas station before. They had let me pump my car full and I went inside to pay and they declined 10 credit cards. Yup, 10!

I said, look I know for a fact your system is down. The meth'd out attendant wasnt helpful and only offered excuses. She pointed out that no one else was having an issue. 

I pointed out that they were using cash(bad part of town).... 

In the end I had to use the crappy gas station atm, walked out of there real angry. I called Chase and demanded an answer, they said we never got anything on our system, the gas station was at fault. 

Typical for the low income part of town(broke equipment, druggie attendants), knew I should have avoided it. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 18 of 37
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Enclo537 wrote:

Yes haha. I was on a date, everything was going great until it was time to pay for the food. My card came back declined. I ended up having to split the check since I only had only half, I asked my date if she could put the other half. She wasn't bothered but I was really, really embarrassed. Worst thing was, it was valentines day.

Haha, I guess it left it wide-open for you to come to her room to pay her half. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 37
boosnark
Contributor

I get a fraud alert every now and then and the worst offender is American Express. Good thing you can confirm a charge attempt online, though, without having to call in.

Gardening until November 1, 2023
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.