Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Emergency situation - How to not ruin my credit

Would you be able to borrow money from a relative short term to get the car back? A PLOC or CLOC could be a good solution. Are you a member of PenFed? PenFed's PLOC rate can be lower than Navy Federal's CLOC rate (good credit rating required of course).

An 09 with only 31K miles...that is frustrating-I am sorry you hvae to deal with this. Does it have the 2.7L engine? 

Message 21 of 75
jg1983
Regular Contributor

I haven't been able to check my Equifax recently but my Experian is around 670 with the same stuff on my report as my Equifax report if that helps.

I called a dealership about doing a trade in and they said they could only give me $4000. they told me I'm better off having the car repaired. I am going to call around for estimates tomorrow but it is going to be hard to match the dealership price with the $2000 credit.

Message 22 of 75
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@jg1983 wrote:

I haven't been able to check my Equifax recently but my Experian is around 670 with the same stuff on my report as my Equifax report if that helps.

I called a dealership about doing a trade in and they said they could only give me $4000. they told me I'm better off having the car repaired. I am going to call around for estimates tomorrow but it is going to be hard to match the dealership price with the $2000 credit.

Man people have been approed for the CLOC with scores in the 640ish+ range.  I am not quite sure what you report looks like or what baddies, etc you have on it.. IMO if you are stuck with replacing your engine it is worth going for the CLOC and put whatever you think you want whether it is 15k or less.  Worse that can happen is a decline as you already took a HP for the other predatory lender you mentioned earlier in the thread.  It could go either way, but worth a gamble IMO.  Or as stated by another posted possibly borrow from parents/relative?

Don't apply for a Penfed PLOC as they have WAY different UW standards and chances of that are about zilch to be approved for with scores less than 700.

Message 23 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I was in a similar situation as you are in with a money pit of a car that I bought a few years ago that was a salvage title it infuriated me but I eventually came to the realization things would just keep going wrong with it and it would be best to replace it with a newer clean title reliable car. IMO the only option you should NOT be considering until you have tried everything else is the Rise loan. It sounds like you have your heart set on keeping the vehicle, fair enough I will outline what I would do in that case, but I believe you should also look into the possibility of finding a different dealer to trade it in at. 

1. Apply for CLOC with NFCU, I would not request the full $15k as many here suggest doing when I used to submit apps for people I would see people that requested the full amount get flat out denied, then I would submit it for a lesser amount and they would get approved or countered so in your situation thats probably the way to go. I would request 1.5x-2x your monthly before tax income or less than $5k whichever is less.

2. If approved for the CLOC then it sounds like you would have enough funds at the dealer, make sure you speak to the dealership manager and get the credit and the billable hours in writing! 

3. Also both of your cards have BT promos right now, sounds like DCU you have 0% but NFCU is doing 2.99% for all members including existing so pay each card off with the other essentially. ie steal from paul to pay peter.... and use the CLOC to pay the rest. 

Alternate step 3 if CLOC with Navy not approved, check with Penfed or Alliant about credit card or LOC.

4. As others have said, I would also highly recommend shopping for an independent shop, it may offend some but I call them stealerships for a reason! Not to say there are not reputable dealers out there just CYA especially when its your money. 

Message 24 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealership has the highest mark up.  Get a small ase certified place to quote you.  Example transmissions quote from dealership $3,000  small garage labor $300 and transmission bought on line 1 year warranty from salvage dealer $600 total $900.   Just a "little" difference. 

Message 25 of 75
jg1983
Regular Contributor

I am not dead set on keeping the car but if I'm only going to get $4k on a trade in I am further ahead repairing the car. Rise was my last option or so I thought. I have been denied for other loans but I will try for a 5k NFCU cloc. I am to the point where even if I do get the financing right away I am going to look for another shop. I will be making some calls tomorrow. With the labor costs the discount they gave me only gets me ahead 500 to 1k and it's not worth the headache dealing with them.
Message 26 of 75
jg1983
Regular Contributor

By the way the only negative on my credit is a 30 day late 7 months ago on my car loan. I have the two credit cards and the car refi and that is it. One year on the car loan and less than a month on both cards (my score jumped quite a bit when I activated the cards so maybe that will help with the cloc).
Message 27 of 75
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Try the CLOC NOW
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 28 of 75
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You have a decent chance on 5k CLOC from NFCU.  Its only a EQ HP if declined.  Get away from predatory lenders.  Let us know the results.  Wish you the best!

Message 29 of 75
One2spooku
Valued Member

Have you called any auto wreckers or salvage yards? Checked ebay? You should be able to come up with a used engine for less than 1k. Find someone to install it for you and you're set. I would never personally pay dealer prices for a stock engine or rebuild. A used engine in decent shape could save you 3000 and allow you time to plan and solve the entire car issue.

Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.