cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer info no longer required on apps.

tag
Established Contributor

Employer info no longer required on apps.

I haven't apped for a few years and only recently read some of my offers in the mail. It seems that the banks no longer ask where the applicant works or what he does for a living. The form asks the applicant to  just declare how much income from all sources he has. It sounds a lot like the "stated income" option on the old mortgage apps. Smiley Surprised

Banks never did seem to check the employer status anyway. On the other hand banks seem to now be willing to provide even more "easy money" based on "stated income".  The higher CC interest rate that banks can now charge  seems to be worth the risk of a higher default rate.

Have others received apps in the mail that only requested, stated income, from all sources? I wonder what's going on. It seems the new laws required minors to prove their incomes when apping for credit. I guess the banks don't really care if all others have jobs when they apply for credit.  It seems like a new net is being set out to trap the unwary.

Another side note:

I hadn't asked for CLIs since before the credit bubble burst. Having had no adverse action through the whole credit tightening crunch, I did not want to rock the boat by having any contact with the banks CSRs. I stayed far away from the "Luv buttons" not wanting to risk CLDs.

After reading the numerous recent posts about auto CLIs freely given by GEMB, I took the plunge. A few years ago I was capped at $4,000 for my Sam's Club CC. I had been told that I was unlikely to ever get my limit raised as I had about the maximum CL allowed for the store charge card. I was told that I would have to obtain a Sam's Discover credit card in order to obtain higher limits.

I hit the Luv button (very lightly & aprehensively Smiley Wink) and was asked my income. I answered that one single question and was immediately raised to a $9,000 credit limit. Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Employer info no longer required on apps.

Some lending institutions still ask for employer name/phone numbers.  Some applications get requests for paycheck stubs/w-2s etc.  Also keep in mind that info about you employment/income is available to lenders via the world wide web (and other means).  No one can get you into trouble (debt) but yourself. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I recently received a letter from Discover ( I've had the card - my name - since 1995) stating I was up for a CLI - would I please call and request an account review for a CLI ?   I also received a call from Customer Service at an inconvenient time  - but I did call back within 10 days.

When I called I was advised it would be a "soft pull" and I was up for a $500.00 CLI.    I asked if I could possibly get more than $500.00 and I was told that was all the "system" was allowing at this time.   Before I authorized the soft pull, I was asked a question about income.  I can't remember exactly how it was phrased - she may have asked for my employer.   I did tell her  the income I am stating is family income (my husband earns all the household income)- and I am not working at this time. 

I was immediately informed I am NOT eligible for a CLI because I am not employed.   I was advised this was due to the Fair Credit Card Act of 2009 (or is it 2010).  Family income can no longer be considered for CLI decisions.  Only income for the person on the card.   The call ended rather abruptly.  We didn't bother with the soft pull.

Today I received a credit card solicitation from Capital Venture - and I noticed it asked for employer name and phone number in addition to family income..... so I'm assuming I shouldn't even bother with an inquiry since I don't have a job ??? 

Thanks !

Message 3 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Congrats...very nice CLI.

How long have you had the card? and your util % at the time of the CLI?

Message 4 of 7
Established Contributor

@namvet wrote:

Some lending institutions still ask for employer name/phone numbers.  Some applications get requests for paycheck stubs/w-2s etc.  Also keep in mind that info about you employment/income is available to lenders via the world wide web (and other means).  No one can get you into trouble (debt) but yourself. 

I didn't say that all of the apps are changing. I am aware that w2s and pay stubs are still required especially by credit unions. I was simply pointing out that the apps that I was receiving in the mail didn't require employer info.

"Employment/income is available to lenders via the world wide web..."  Good point !

As far as me getting into trouble (debt) myself, what makes you say that? I personally don't carry debt unless it is used for arbitrage or leverage. I never borrow money unless I am profiting financially by the transaction. I never borrow unless I already have the money to pay for the obligation in full.

I don't see what in my post even remotely suggests that I was trying to blame others for going into debt myself. I am not even trying to excuse others who might go into debt through mismanagement of their own resources.

I do have compassion for those who might not have your wisdom, sophistication, and self discipline, concerning financial matters. On these boards we are trying to help one and other. That is why I brought up the topic in the first place.

I also disagree with the wider implication of your blanket statement that getting into trouble (debt) is always caused by the person in trouble. Many people suffer for years paying back debt acquired through no fault of their own. I would never tell a mother who went into debt because of a child's medical emergency that she caused the trouble that she was in. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
Established Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

Congrats...very nice CLI.

How long have you had the card? and your util % at the time of the CLI?

I have had the card for nine years. 

My overall utility at the time of CLI was less than 1%.

My credit report had a reported Sam's club credit card balance of $0.

The (unreported to bureaus) Sam's club balance

at the time of CLI was less than $50.

Tis definitely the season to test GEMB's Luv button. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm assuming I shouldn't even bother with

an inquiry since I don't have a job ??? 

Thanks !

Does your husband have a good credit history & score?

You could have him apply for a card and make you an AU.

Some banks like BofA will allow you to become a joint (equally responsible) owner of the credit card at a later date. If you do obtain employment you could convert the card at that time. After a year or so you could ask the bank to remove your husband from responsibility for the card and make it an individual card in your name only. If you can swing the AU route, the card would be growing (credit limits) and maturing (usage history) even before you obtain employment.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.