End of Serve for me

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: End of Serve for me

@Anonymous wrote:

@14Fiesta wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

People spending $1M+ on the Blue Cash must be costing Amex at least $10K a year.  But they are not always the ones targetted.  Clearly

some level is tolerated (I just went to: supermarket A, bought 2 $500 gift cards and nothing else, then to supermarket B where I bought 4 $500 cards and nothing else, finally to CVS for 2 $500 cards and nothing else.  All within 30 minutes.  Does Amex know what I am doing.  Must do!)

You must be the guy that comes into our grocery store and buys at least 1K of Visa gift cards a week! He pays with a clear AMEX, that I haven't been close enough to see but I am thinking its the BC.

I love explaining MS to my coworkers after he leaves and feeling cool because it's like myFICO in real life! Smiley Tongue

We have a visual on Longtimelurker?  Maybe!  Does your MSer look like one of them Brits?  You know, old hat, sandals, Manchester United or Liverpool shirts (although they might be hiding those, nowadays) and some sort of pipe?  Pay attention next time and have your cell phone camera ready!

Almost right, but most of these places don't allow me to bring in my pipe (at least when it is lit) so I am often a bit jumpy and maybe a bit brusque to the assistants.   "Hurry up, my good woman.   I've seen blind babies operate a cash register quicker than that.   Are you really stupid or do they just train you that way?"

I have to change stores often.

Message 41 of 122
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

This thread is hilarious.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 42 of 122
elim
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@I_need_720 wrote:

Also you could use your Chase card to buy VISA/Mastercard GC that have a Pin from your local grocer and do a debit card load at Walmart or Family Dollar to your Serve Account. Be sure to get $500 cards as that is the max load per transaction and to get the actvation fee down to 1%of the GC face amount.

Until the situation is a little better understood, I would hold off on doing this with a Chase card.  On FT there is speculation that Chase is getting tougher (incorporating language in the T&Cs and now this) so even stuff that was safe before may no longer be.

But it's also at least possible that this is just a short-term glitch, but no need to put Chase cards at risk for a few days!

I'm hearing that Chase reps are claiming this is happening because amex changed the code that classify the purchases and the new code falls into the CA category with chase. I don't really see the logic of chase cracking down on serve since its capped per month between 1k to 1.5 k, so this is such a low amount I'm not sure why chase would be overly concerned. 

Gateway drug!  So you do serve, works fine and you convince yourself it's ok because it's money you would be spending anyway so you may as well earn rewards.   Next you use your Freedom to buy a gift card at a gas station during the 5% months, because, well, why not, must be OK.   And on to gift cards at Staples with the Inkand soon you are doing the max allowed, getting two other Inks and....

A sad story, that starts with an innocent load of Serve.

Oh please I was mainlining BB 5k a month way before I took a hit of serve.

omg, lmao, that is funny.

if i recall... that was that good 10% stuff

Message 43 of 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to FT, some CapOne cards are now being treated as CA's. I predict Serve will die out as a viable MS option in the future.

Message 44 of 122
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

According to FT, some CapOne cards are now being treated as CA's. I predict Serve will die out as a viable MS option in the future.

There is conflicting information on this. For some people its CA others are saying no, so its not really clear at this time what is happening with cap 1 cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 45 of 122
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is conflicting information on this. For some people its CA others are saying no, so its not really clear at this time what is happening with cap 1 cards. 

I decided i am going to wait and see how this all plays out before i go crazy, i can pay my electricity and auto loan one week with debit card,. it won't be the end of the world. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 46 of 122
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right, and even with Chase, because this just started (IF it has started) no-one has a clear "Cash Advance Fee" posted, so we need to wait to see if something has really changed.

Message 47 of 122
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

just tried it out with my CSP for $20 bucks and my available cash advance HAS deducted by $20 Smiley Sad

Message 48 of 122
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@slap_happy wrote:

just tried it out with my CSP for $20 bucks and my available cash advance HAS deducted by $20 Smiley Sad

Right, but the confounding problem is that on several cards in the past it initially appears to be a CA and eventually posts as a purchase.   Some have seen new behaviour, such as  a decrease in available cash advance that hadn't happened before (or being denied with CA set to 0) but still somewhat in flux.   If serve has been given a new MCC then this would be a big change that could impact all cards, but we don't know yet.

Message 49 of 122
Exonumist
Established Contributor

In a day or two we might have a better idea what is going on. No point in jumping to conclusions or even really being a guinea pig. The people that have already posted info will update when charges actually post. Though I will say I haven't had any issues this month with my Wells Fargo card. Just did the third $200 this morning.

Message 50 of 122
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.