Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of the year plans

tag
red259
Super Contributor

End of the year plans

I picked up the PRG card on 1/2 and I have MR points that I have built up on it. Barring a great retention offer I don't see wanting to pay the AF. I have to wait until at least Jan 1 to apply for the the amex everyday preferred card for max backdating. My question is what is the best way to cancel the PRG card and get the amex everyday card without losing my MR points, getting max backdating and avoiding the AF on the PRG? Can this all be done on Jan 1 or will that be too late to avoid the AF?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: End of the year plans

@red259 wrote:

I picked up the PRG card on 1/2 and I have MR points that I have built up on it. Barring a great retention offer I don't see wanting to pay the AF. I have to wait until at least Jan 1 to apply for the the amex everyday preferred card for max backdating. My question is what is the best way to cancel the PRG card and get the amex everyday card without losing my MR points, getting max backdating and avoiding the AF on the PRG? Can this all be done on Jan 1 or will that be too late to avoid the AF?

You can get at least some of the fee back by cancelling soon after.   But the other question: can you use the benefits of the Everyday Preferred now?   If you can, and get the enhanced rewards on supermarket spend, it is almost certainly worth more than the small increase in AAoA by waiting till Jan.

Message 2 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

When I talked to csr he said you get sixty days after annual fee to decide if you want to keep it.I don't know how accurate that is .just curious why did you not do prg ed at same time,since its one HP?

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 9
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Edit: Answered my own question

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 4 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

You can get at least some of the fee back by cancelling soon after.   But the other question: can you use the benefits of the Everyday Preferred now?   If you can, and get the enhanced rewards on supermarket spend, it is almost certainly worth more than the small increase in AAoA by waiting till Jan.

I'[m in the garden till Jan. Just picked up SPG card recently so I would be uncomfortable pulling the trigger until late December at the earliest. 

;
Message 5 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

When I talked to csr he said you get sixty days after annual fee to decide if you want to keep it.I don't know how accurate that is .just curious why did you not do prg ed at same time,since its one HP?

Maybe I will call and confirm that sixty day rule, since that will make the process much much easier. ED did not exist at the time I got the PRG, otherwise I would have got it instead of BCP. I got PRG and BCP at same time. ED came out few months later so by that time I was in garden.

;
Message 6 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

ED did not exist at the time I got the PRG, otherwise I would have got it instead of BCP. I got PRG and BCP at same time. ED came out few months later so by that time I was in garden.

Ah I am still waiting on that fifty k prg offer then I can pull the trigger.I am wondering if I should hold off apping for new cards till offer comes along, the backdate to 95 could really pad my aaoa.

Message 7 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

ED did not exist at the time I got the PRG, otherwise I would have got it instead of BCP. I got PRG and BCP at same time. ED came out few months later so by that time I was in garden.

Ah I am still waiting on that fifty k prg offer then I can pull the trigger.I am wondering if I should hold off apping for new cards till offer comes along, the backdate to 95 could really pad my aaoa.

yea, a 19 year boost would be nice. I don't know if I would hold off all apping, but in that situation I may be a bit more conservative with my card apps so that I could go for it when the offer popped. 

;
Message 8 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

yea, a 19 year boost would be nice. I don't know if I would hold off all apping, but in that situation I may be a bit more conservative with my card apps so that I could go for it when the offer popped. 

I may app for an sm October after I downgrade my bcp. I would like to team up prg and ed for aaoa padding .amex just doesn't like me these days I guess. Even though all my groceries spending goes thru them lol 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.