Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engagement Ring.. Blue Nile?

tag
lamplight2012
Frequent Contributor

Re: Engagement Ring.. Blue Nile?

@wasCB14 wrote:

Has anyone here pursued some alternative engagement gift (other than a diamond ring)? Or just gotten engaged without a gift?

It's kind of twisted how marketing makes us associate engagement with necessary wealth transfers to the diamond industry. It's a tradition that's emerged from 20th century marketing...not really an old custom in America.

So true! The good thing about my lady is, she doesn't care. All I've ever heard her say was "It doesn't matter how much the ring cost, I'll just be happy when you do it"

My ex's requirements were "Price of ring should be 6 months of your income, no less than 1 carat" etc ....You can only guess why I'm not with her.

Experian: 693 | Transunion: 700 | Equifax: 690 | Utilization 4 %

EX: 5 | TU: 8 | EQ: 7
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Has anyone here pursued some alternative engagement gift (other than a diamond ring)? Or just gotten engaged without a gift?

It's kind of twisted how marketing makes us associate engagement with necessary wealth transfers to the diamond industry. It's a tradition that's emerged from 20th century marketing...not really an old custom in America.

I am buying my girlfriends ring through https://www.diamondslabcreated.com/

Beautiful rings.  She doesn't need nor want a real diamond.

Message 22 of 28
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I completely agree! When wife and I got married, we were so broke we purchased cheap fake $20 rings from K- Mart just so we would have something to exchange when the marriage dude asked us to! 

We still have them in a box at home somewhere. They're all rusty and look really bad.  There a conversation piece more than anything.  

She has an AMAZING ring now. But she had to wait almost 5 years after we were married to get it. 

The "3-6 months salary" thing is TOTAL jewelry industry marketing hype!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 23 of 28
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Having said that, as a further suggestion to OP, you may want to apply with Kay Jewelry. 

They are friendly to negatives on your credit report.  They approved me for 6k with negatives. 

Best Wishes to you

and

Congrats on your engagement!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 24 of 28
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@lamplight2012 wrote:

Hello, all. Looking to finance an engagement ring between 2-3K for my lady.

Which one does Blue Nile pull? & do you think 3K is reasonable to get?

Thanks!

Google pricescope.  It's a forum for jewelry lovers.  They'll help you find the best diamond for your budget. 

My advice:  do not go with a brand name (i.e. Tiffany, Harry Winston, etc...).  Because you're paying for the name, you won't get much diamond.  Do not go into debt for a ring.  Do not go into debt for a wedding. 

Have you considered vintage/antique/estate jewelry? 

@Creditplz wrote:

I went to my local jeweler and had a custom ring made, Emerald cut VVS 5.xx ct center stone on a platinum simple band, with Tiffany you're paying for the name of the jewelry house like Cartier (not saying their products aren't great just overpriced)

also I'm not sure if comenity Blue Nile UW will be happy about the large number of collections, could go either way!

5+ carat emerald cut! Smiley Surprised  It reminds me of friends who, after they sold their company to HP, upgraded her ring to a giant emerald cut diamond. 

Message 25 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I completely agree! When wife and I got married, we were so broke we purchased cheap fake $20 rings from K- Mart just so we would have something to exchange when the marriage dude asked us to! 

We still have them in a box at home somewhere. They're all rusty and look really bad.  There a conversation piece more than anything.  

She has an AMAZING ring now. But she had to wait almost 5 years after we were married to get it. 

6 months presumably gross salary?  *boggle*

        
Message 26 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Wonder if there is room to expand this.  In my business "Once you get engaged, you will be wanting to talk to each other as often as possible, wherever you are.   And naturally you will want the conversation to be as clear as your love.   So we recommend buying a phone that costs 3-6 months salary, one for each of you."

ANd then we can just jack up the price of our standard phones.   Two love-struck people aren't really going to notice the quality of the connection....

Oh, may as well create a line of "Together" phones, standard phones with a little bit of cheap bling at 10 times the price.

Message 27 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Wonder if there is room to expand this.  In my business "Once you get engaged, you will be wanting to talk to each other as often as possible, wherever you are.   And naturally you will want the conversation to be as clear as your love.   So we recommend buying a phone that costs 3-6 months salary, one for each of you."

ANd then we can just jack up the price of our standard phones.   Two love-struck people aren't really going to notice the quality of the connection....

Oh, may as well create a line of "Together" phones, standard phones with a little bit of cheap bling at 10 times the price.

Laugh!

I know you jest but even I have sticker shock on the alleged new iPhone 8 pricing.  The engagement ring suggested price just sort of blew my mind: I'm not even top 10% income wise but even with my middling credit score I can put down a downpayment on a house in 99.9% of the country, maybe more, at that level.  Granted I can finance the ring, but still.

A buddy once jested 18ish years ago: "a ring is so cliche, can I buy you a house?" 

Priorties I guess. Cat Tongue

        
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.