cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entered into payment plan with amex. Will it really keep card open?

tag
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

Entered into payment plan with amex. Will it really keep card open?

So I've documented my struggles with paying off an Amex Charge Card in full the past few months. I am set up on a 12 month hardship program now.  I should be able to pay the full balance however by the end of May. I will be officially 90 days late by that time. I am thinking of calling them in a couple weeks to ask if I set up payment in full will they only report me 60 days late?

importantly, I spoke to the rep and asked her if my card would be closed by then and she told me they wouldn't close the card until 6 months after DOFD which is 180 days.  When I pay it up I can call to have it reinstated. 

However, I have heard stories of being told this then them not keeping their "word" I guess they have the right to do whatever. This is the only card I"m late on. It's brough down my score by 60 points but I'll recover.  Just wondering if anyone has ever been able to save the relationship.  That's the first step here. I don't want to lose my card. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Entered into payment plan with amex. Will it really keep card open?

@Ortz33__ wrote:

So I've documented my struggles with paying off an Amex Charge Card in full the past few months. I am set up on a 12 month hardship program now.  I should be able to pay the full balance however by the end of May. I will be officially 90 days late by that time. I am thinking of calling them in a couple weeks to ask if I set up payment in full will they only report me 60 days late?

importantly, I spoke to the rep and asked her if my card would be closed by then and she told me they wouldn't close the card until 6 months after DOFD which is 180 days.  When I pay it up I can call to have it reinstated. 

However, I have heard stories of being told this then them not keeping their "word" I guess they have the right to do whatever. This is the only card I"m late on. It's brough down my score by 60 points but I'll recover.  Just wondering if anyone has ever been able to save the relationship.  That's the first step here. I don't want to lose my card. 

I wish we could answer that but there's just no way to tell but I truly hope they keep their word and allow you to keep the card 

Good luck I'll be pulling for you

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
mrlh1980
Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

This is tricky. American Express doesn't like to be easy with there "charge card" since you knew what you were getting into once applying. They would most likely not help you for this matter. Unless you speak to the financial department. Keep in mind American Express is it's own bank and doesn't have to play nice.

"Fools trade their SOULS for gold in an attempt to take control of things they can't control."
Message 3 of 5
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Don't charge cards come with a pay over time feature? Or is that only for selected accounts?

I would say to maximize your chances of salvaging the relationship it would be best to pay it off as soon as you can. 

Message 4 of 5
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

only certain charges and you have to be "eligible"  my guess is they offer it to long time charge card holders. in my case i had the card for 8 months.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.