Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escaping Capitol One

tag
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: Escaping Capitol One

I've got one more payment to get rid of my last Crap1... but I am an AU on my wife's two which I will be keeping open until we finish working on building up her score.  I will probably go back to Crap1 for their Venture card, but not anytime too soon.  I'm in the garden.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 11 of 41
RonDawg
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep I am right there with ya'll!! I hate CRAP-ONE as they have NOT been really all that great to me..PLUS I have an AF that I didn't realize was assesed!!! Ughhh..I am scared though to close this account because I've had it for like 2 years..any suggestions??? I don't know how hard of a hit it'll take on my CR???

check your report, find out how many cards are reporting and the age of each card.  Add all the ages up and divide that number by the total amount of cards you have be sure to remove the CrapOne card and age from the total before dividing.  That will give you the average age of accounts you have without CrapOne as long as you don't drop years from your average you should be fine.   Lets say your average years for all your accounts is 5.8 years and you remove crapone that causes your average age to drop to 5 years then your fine but if it causes you to drop to 3.8 then your score will be adjusted to match that average age of accounts.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 12 of 41
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I want to close my card, but they keep waiving the annual fee.  Until they stop doing that I will keep it open.

I also have one w/o AF, no reason really to close it. I went through the credit steps, they gave me a card when nobody else would, and paved my way to Amex and Chase. No hard feelings -- if you read this forum you will know these are jump-start cards and shouldn't be disappointed if they don't grow...

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 13 of 41
toppers555
Established Contributor

I agree with you to a point but problem is my secured was said to be gradurate when I apply and they changed terms without a warning besides that and holds Capitol has help me grow.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 14 of 41
toppers555
Established Contributor

I know someone in mention they had Ceo email address to capitol one. I have been looking and can not find the address or the post of person who said they had it. If you could pm it to me that would be great. I just got off line with csr about my  security deposit .lets just say 65 mins later of 2 rep reading the same script , and finally getting a mgr. I have some hot air that needs to vent.  this call ,and in general how they have been handling my accounts is far from acceptable.  I have already contacted social team ,and filed BBB reports on this situration in general , so I am not just shotgunning it to top , I have tried other path to no help. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 15 of 41
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 16 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW !

Message 17 of 41
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Why is everyone closing their cards? If its unsecured and there's no annual fee...I'd keep it open. It will help with UTL and AAoA. CAP1 is my oldest tradeline and although I don't particularly like the card anymore, it helped me get my foot in the door and on to better cards. I won't be using it anymore. It has served its purpose but I definitely won't be closing it.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 18 of 41
JonStur
Established Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Why is everyone closing their cards? If its unsecured and there's no annual fee...I'd keep it open. It will help with UTL and AAoA. CAP1 is my oldest tradeline and although I don't particularly like the card anymore, it helped me get my foot in the door and on to better cards. I won't be using it anymore. It has served its purpose but I definitely won't be closing it.

+1000 Unless there is some outrageous AF, keep it open especially if you have a thin credit file. Also, there might not be a large credit line but it still will help your overall utilization. It is up to you but I would suggest closing your card for business not emotional reasons.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 19 of 41
distantarray
Established Contributor

you know I gotta say having ONE Capital One is good for 1 purpose, and 1 purpose only. They report ALL authorized users..... So it's great for helping friends and families in need.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.