Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eventually would like AMEX BCE

tag
meljeff1
Contributor

Eventually would like AMEX BCE

Hi Everyone,

As my title indicates eventually I would like to app for the AMEX .  I don't plan on apping at least until the summer or longer but I wanted to get an idea of my chances.  I know that amex typically pulls Experian which Fico08 says my score is 621. I have my BK from 2010 reporting on Experian and one paid collection.  I do have a late payment from 13 months ago that is hurting my score as well.  I know the score is pretty low but what does it need to be to get approval?

I guess my best option is to wait for those lates to age with more time and then revisit my score at that time... Any tips or comments are appreciated.

Side note Cap one agreed to remove the late but its going to take 60 days for that to show up. Current Cards: QS1:1500, Cap One Plat:1000, Finger Hut: 400, WM Store Card: 300, car loan. Utilization is currently 13% 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Eventually would like AMEX BCE

Well just as a ref point I got my ED card I think I was in the 690's but I think I've seen others with lower fico scores... maybe even 670's.  What I dont know is how amex deals with BK, others can moment on that.  Did you burn them in the BK?

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 9
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Get your score up to 720

Message 3 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Your BK should be old enough to be a non factor. Your score however will definitely get you a denial. Have you tried for a GW removal of that late payment? If not give it a shot. Anything else holding your score down besides what you mentioned? i.e. Inquires ,AAOA etc? I wouldn't apply for a BCE with anything below a 670. You may see approvals below 650, but that's usually for a charge card. Go for the card you want and not the card you can get. If it takes a little time and patience to get what you want than that's what it takes. Be patient and let some things age and bring up your score, the BCE will always be there waiting for you, Good Luck.
Message 4 of 9
Chris679
Established Contributor

@meljeff1 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As my title indicates eventually I would like to app for the AMEX .  I don't plan on apping at least until the summer or longer but I wanted to get an idea of my chances.  I know that amex typically pulls Experian which Fico08 says my score is 621. I have my BK from 2010 reporting on Experian and one paid collection.  I do have a late payment from 13 months ago that is hurting my score as well.  I know the score is pretty low but what does it need to be to get approval?

I guess my best option is to wait for those lates to age with more time and then revisit my score at that time... Any tips or comments are appreciated.

Side note Cap one agreed to remove the late but its going to take 60 days for that to show up. Current Cards: QS1:1500, Cap One Plat:1000, Finger Hut: 400, WM Store Card: 300, car loan. Utilization is currently 13% 

I had Cap One remove a late.  The also told me it could take up to 60 days and it was gone within two.

Message 5 of 9
meljeff1
Contributor

I didn't burn them but I will definitely wait!! Thanks for the info those were the reference points I was looking for.
Message 6 of 9
meljeff1
Contributor

Honestly I think it's the lates but I'm waiting for that to be removed. I will keep you guys updated once it's removed. I've been checking but t hasn't been removed as of yet. I won't apply until I at least get to 650-670.
Message 7 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@meljeff1 wrote:

I don't plan on apping at least until the summer or longer but I wanted to get an idea of my chances.  I know that amex typically pulls Experian which Fico08 says my score is 621. I have my BK from 2010 reporting on Experian and one paid collection.  I do have a late payment from 13 months ago that is hurting my score as well.  I know the score is pretty low but what does it need to be to get approval?

It's never just about score but you can refer to the Credit Pulls Database (Google to find) if desired.  If you have dergos like collections, lates, etc then hit the Rebuilding suboforum and carefully research to see what you can do to address them.  Derogs like that tend to have a major impact and hold one down as long as they are on reports.  Don't just rely on what you think you might or might not get approved for.  Approval is just the start.  Your credit profile will play a major role in determning limit, APR, CLI's, etc.

Also make sure you're running the numbers for your spend and considering total cost/benefit versus just the AF.  Quick calculations indicate to me that the BCP and BCE are even on rewards at $2,500 annual grocery spend.  If you have more than that then the BCP is a better fit.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my AMX BCE with a score of around 740 back in Jan.5K SCL. Also got the ED card as well. That had  a 5K SCL with an instant 5K increase. (Total of 10K)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.