cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever feel guilty about using credit cards at stores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ever feel guilty about using credit cards at stores?

Interesting topic. And yes, I definitely avoid paying with a CC or even debit card at obvious mom and pop shops. As a matter of fact, if I don't have the cash on me, I won't go to these establishments until I have a chance to stop by an ATM (even if it means waiting until the next day). Same thing goes for franchised stores where I'm spending less than $10 or so. I also almost always tip in cash, even if I'm paying for the main purchase with a CC.

With huge chains like Walmart, Target, Safeway, etc, I couldn't care less though. I'll pay with a CC for a $0.99 stick of gum, and I have. I also don't have a problem paying with a CC for $5 worth of gas. If I'm only getting $5 worth of gas from your station, it's because your price is exorbitant, and my purchase is only a holdover until I can get to a Sam's or Costco later in the day.

Message 21 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I avoid self check outs because everyone always says it will put people out of a job?  Idk.  And at olive garden the rare occasion i do go there with a free app coupon or amex offer, i refuse to use those dumb desktop order screens. my waiter always says thanks I hate them too and it helps us keep our jobs.  I guess there was actual debate in test stores that they would eliminate 90% of wait staff interaction.  ick.

I only use them to swipe my card and go...it can be a lot quicker.

Message 22 of 80
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

As someone that ran a small business for 17+ years then owned and ran my own for another 18 years I can tell you that swipe fees are a major cost to small business. I closed my business before the extra "Signature - WEMC" fees started hitting, but I will say that you only make money when you make a sale and yes it's the cost of doing business. However, with the added cost of today's mandates for healthcare,  wage, overtime, etc, it's causing a lot of truly small businesses to go broke and close.

The mindset that "business is rich" and can pay more and more in rent, fees, mandates, etc come from those that have never owned or run a small business when you put everything you own - can borrow and sell - on the line to run your business. Small business is the heart of jobs and the local tax base, kill this factor any all you'll have are the Walmarts and internet - this goes for fast food and locally owned restaurants.  You can only pass on so much in costs before you chase your customers away to Walmart or Amazon or eBay, etc. 

Personally I never "charge" anything under $10, but my point of view comes from having been there and watching a successful 18 year old business bleed out and go broke due to "costs". My personal "rebuild" took 10+ years with a lot of pain and effort (without a Bankruptcy) - would not wish that experience on anyone.  

Message 23 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't because the cost of credit should be factored into the price. I've rarely been to a store that says "oh you're using cash, let be knock off the extra markup for credit. Now I know in many areas gas stations will charge less for cash, and one local bakery gives a discount for cash. Do the mom and pop stores feel guilty for charging me extra for paying with cash? I use credit cards for convenience and rewards, I very rarely have cash on me.

Message 24 of 80
Enjay
Established Member

I don't feel guilty, but I feel self conscious when I use a card for a tiny purchase. I never carry much cash, and when I use a card to buy a drink or similar, I feel like the cashier thinks I can't afford the purchase.

Yes, I have issues.
Message 25 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I don't because the cost of credit should be factored into the price. I've rarely been to a store that says "oh you're using cash, let be knock off the extra markup for credit. Now I know in many areas gas stations will charge less for cash, and one local bakery gives a discount for cash. Do the mom and pop stores feel guilty for charging me extra for paying with cash? I use credit cards for convenience and rewards, I very rarely have cash on me.

Don't be fooled

They arent chargin you less for cash at the gas station, they are chargning you MORE for credit... that all goes back to old laws that prohibited chargig extra to use a card.. but, it was ok to discount for a cash sale...

Message 26 of 80
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you ever get pissed at WalMart when a clerk tries to redirect you to a U-SCAN/self check-out lane?  The price of labor is already figured into the cost of the merchandise so somebody will have to check me out and bag my items for me.  I use U-SCAN lines at grocery stores if the lines are outrageous and I only have 1 or 2 items but the grocery stores don't seem to try and force me to check myself out like Wally World does.  Retail has creatively found other ways to make up for the costs of people using credit cards.

1) The grocery store is just sneakier about getting you to use the self checkout line.  Big data gives them a pretty darn good guess at how many cashiers they need for the lines.  But knowing people will use the self checkout lines if the lines are longer.... 

2) If the swipe fees were lower, my guess is the extra profits would go to stock holders and executives.  Not the cashiers.  Not lower prices for everyone.

3) Cash/checks is more expensive for companies.  The cheapest payment form is debit cards run with a pin.

4) People blame trade for jobs disappearing.  I think technology is more to blame.  Now one cashier "runs"  8 self checkout lines.  Wallmat is replacing thousands of accountants with an automated inventory system.   Robots are going to accelerate the changes in the next 10-15 years.

Message 27 of 80
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you ever get pissed at WalMart when a clerk tries to redirect you to a U-SCAN/self check-out lane?  The price of labor is already figured into the cost of the merchandise so somebody will have to check me out and bag my items for me.  I use U-SCAN lines at grocery stores if the lines are outrageous and I only have 1 or 2 items but the grocery stores don't seem to try and force me to check myself out like Wally World does.  Retail has creatively found other ways to make up for the costs of people using credit cards.

1) The grocery store is just sneakier about getting you to use the self checkout line.  Big data gives them a pretty darn good guess at how many cashiers they need for the lines.  But knowing people will use the self checkout lines if the lines are longer.... 

2) If the swipe fees were lower, my guess is the extra profits would go to stock holders and executives.  Not the cashiers.  Not lower prices for everyone.

3) Cash/checks is more expensive for companies.  The cheapest payment form is debit cards run with a pin.

4) People blame trade for jobs disappearing.  I think technology is more to blame.  Now one cashier "runs"  8 self checkout lines.  Wallmat is replacing thousands of accountants with an automated inventory system.   Robots are going to accelerate the changes in the next 10-15 years.

If you want to see what happens to a business, large or small, that doesn't reinvest into their business or closely watch their P/L just look at the resent history of Sears - Kmart. I'm not defending corporate greed (perfect example is the Mylan EpiPen situation), but I think most people do not understand the cost of doing-staying in business. The "cost" of a cashier today is much more than the hourly rate as an employer has to cover 7.65 % payroll taxes (FICA + Medicare matching), healthcare, increasing mandated hourly rate, overtime, 401k matching in some cases, unemployment insurance, Workman's Comp, etc.  

Message 28 of 80
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today I was thinking about the card system and how much stores have to pay to accept them and I suddenly started feeling bad that I'm costing stores 3% every time I swipe. It seems silly considering that it's already baked into the prices we all pay for stuff and that I've been doing it for years. At the same time, I do have to wonder if I'd be a bit more societally responsible if I used a debit card or at least something that costs less than Visa Signature/Infinite/AmEx.

Anyway, are there specific stores/situatutions where you'll pay with the "cheaper" option?

Why would I, or anyone feel guilty for using the credit card. I did not set the swipe fees, I am not doing anything dishonest or deceptive, I am just using a card the business freely chooses to accept to make a transaction. Nothing to feel guilty about!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 29 of 80
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I avoid self check outs because everyone always says it will put people out of a job?  Idk.  And at olive garden the rare occasion i do go there with a free app coupon or amex offer, i refuse to use those dumb desktop order screens. my waiter always says thanks I hate them too and it helps us keep our jobs.  I guess there was actual debate in test stores that they would eliminate 90% of wait staff interaction.  ick.

I, like you, avoid self check outs but for a very different reason.  I avoid them because I always seem to get behind someone who has never used the thing before and sets off the alarm with every item they scan...or I'm behind someone who thinks its okay to let their toddler play with the machine or lean on the very sensitive scale which also sets the alarm off.  And as anyone who has used the self check out knows...once the alarm is set off (because the machine thinks you're cheating) it usually has to be cleared by a podium cashier who may, or may not be around at the moment.  

Message 30 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.