Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever have trouble choosing .........

tag
lylesvegas
Contributor

Ever have trouble choosing .........

I was at the mall the other day and was buying about 150 dollars worth of clothes. I was at the cash register and pulled my wallet out to pay. First thing I think of is what card will give me the best bang for my buck. Then when I see they would all be the same I have to decide. I dont mean to sound foolish but it really took me like 15 seconds to make my decision. Anyone else ever have this problem ?????

Amex BCE...Amex ED...Barclay WMC...Priceline Rewards Visa...Cap One Venture...Total Rewards Visa...Wells Fargo Visa...Discover IT...Pay Pal Smart Connect...Overstock Store Card...Lowe's Store Card

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Ever have trouble choosing .........

I do sometimes. My "go to" card is my cap1 since it earns 1% plus the 50% bonus, but i always want to make sure all of my cards get used at least once a month.
Message 2 of 14
bs6054
Valued Contributor

My current "which card" problem arises when buying take out food.   I get 5% (= 6.25% with bonus) using US Bank Cash Plus if the place is coded as a restaurant, but only 1% (= 1.25%) if it is coded as a  fast-food place, in which case it is better to use a 2% Fidelity Amex (or the 1.5% Cap One if they don't take Amex).  If I know in advance which place I am going to, I can look it up on the Visa site, but that is rarely the case (and is far too loser-nerd anyway!).

Eventually I remember that even if it say $30, the difference between 1.25% and 2% is about 23 cents, so this is not the most important financial decision I have to make!

Message 3 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

All the time! But it takes about two minutes because I don't want to hold up the line lol

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 14
flowfaster
Established Contributor

The next quarter will be even harder. Discover, Citi Forward, US BANK Cash+ all for restaurants AHHH! lol

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 14
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
I do sometimes. My "go to" card is my cap1 since it earns 1% plus the 50% bonus, but i always want to make sure all of my cards get used at least once a month.

Same problem as the OP sometimes when I'm NOT shopping at JCP Smiley Wink then I always use my JCP card...but at every other store, I stare at my collection, wondering what to do next...especially if Freedom isn't offer 5x back on department stores...

But like jsucool76, I'll use the card I haven't used yet for that billing cycle. If all cards have been already used, at this point in time I'd likely grab my Sapphire since I'm so close to the $500 spending. If I already hit the threshold, then I'd do an eeny meenie miny moe on Sapphire, Freedom, or TD Bank Smiley Wink 1x for all of them. Orchard...we won't even go there...

Message 6 of 14
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

If im by myself and paying attention then ill choose a card. Most of the time im with friends or the GF or texting and i just grab whatever is first im my wallet. Same when getting gas.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 7 of 14
jake619
Frequent Contributor

this sounds to me like youre carrying too many cards.  embrace the sock drawer.

Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lylesvegas wrote:

I was at the mall the other day and was buying about 150 dollars worth of clothes. I was at the cash register and pulled my wallet out to pay. First thing I think of is what card will give me the best bang for my buck. Then when I see they would all be the same I have to decide. I dont mean to sound foolish but it really took me like 15 seconds to make my decision. Anyone else ever have this problem ?????

Yes except right now I'm not thinking rewards... I'm thinking Approval! I got it wrong today paying for $1 Parking fee! LOL

Message 9 of 14
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Outside of Nordstrom or Macy's, I usually will use whatever card is in my rotation.  Typically it's 2 cards in the wallet at one time and they each have a week or so.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.