Everyday's 20%

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Everyday's 20%

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

If you make a purchase of $1962 and go to the coffee shop nineteen times for a $2 cup of your favorite caffeine, all within the same billing cycle, does that qualify for the 20%, in fhis case 2000 x .20 = 400 points?

Or, you could just buy 19 candy bars at .50 cents; or, pay your cell/cable bill a small amount 19 times.  I'm always surprised whenever there's mention of how hard it is to rack up 20 or 30 charges.

I can't remember where (so not very useful) but there was a warning that some merchants might bundle charges together, so while 19 transactions would create 19 pending transactions on a website, these merchants (if they exist!) might end up reporting 1 transaction at the end of the day   (Maybe something like drugstore.com that gives you time to adjust your order)

This is written on the AMEX website as a warning but I have never once had that problem. 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe your first scenario is correct. I have the Amex Everday. It is pretty easy to do 20 swipes in a month. Now the one time I did see it not accepting individual charges was in making Itunes individual song purchases. Those were bundled as one. You can't buy 20 tracks individually and then reach your 20% goal. 

Plus the intention is not to just rake up the 20%, but to use the card for sizable purchase amounts to maximize your MR points. 

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or you could use Amex Serve and add tiny amounts to get you to the 20 or 30 if you are a few short. You won't earn MR on the serve fundings but you will get the bonus!

The 20% bonus changes the earning rate from 2 MR per dollar spent at grocery stores to 2.2 MR points per dollar, and 1 MR/1$ for everything else to 1.2.  If you spend a lot more and dont have a PRG, you would be able to get 4.5 at grocery stores, 3 at gas stations and 1.5 everywhere else.  That translates to a 9% 6% 3% card fairly easily.

Message 13 of 17
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Or you could use Amex Serve and add tiny amounts to get you to the 20 or 30 if you are a few short. You won't earn MR on the serve fundings but you will get the bonus!

The 20% bonus changes the earning rate from 2 MR per dollar spent at grocery stores to 2.2 MR points per dollar, and 1 MR/1$ for everything else to 1.2.  If you spend a lot more and dont have a PRG, you would be able to get 4.5 at grocery stores, 3 at gas stations and 1.5 everywhere else.  That translates to a 9% 6% 3% card fairly easily.

Can you explain this more, please?

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you explain this more, please?

I've already shown an inability to think in this thread, but I'm pretty sure they're referring to the Everyday Preferred and just left that part out. 

I'm excited, mine finally arrived today. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 15 of 17
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've already shown an inability to think in this thread, but I'm pretty sure they're referring to the Everyday Preferred and just left that part out. 

Yay for you card arriving. 

I guess im not clear on how it becomes a 9%, 6%, 3% card.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yay for you card arriving. 

I guess im not clear on how it becomes a 9%, 6%, 3% card.

EDP offers 3x on groceries, 2x on gas and 1x on all else and has a 50% bonus with 30 swipes.  With the bonus it's 4.5, 3 and 1.5 and they're valuing them at 2x when transferred. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.