Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone hates on Cap1, they're AOK in my book

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: Everyone hates on Cap1, they're AOK in my book

I had terrible experiences with Capital One back in '09/'10, particularly with their deplorable customer service. I returned to them 1.5 years ago and haven't really had an issue since then. I do maintain a Venture card with them that has quite a substantial credit limit that I really enjoy traveling with (as long as they keep waiving the AF, as they have been). I don't believe they deserve very much praise or reverence in my experience because they simply do not compare with the other banks I do business with. Capital One seems content with being average and marginal, so I'm fine with considering them as such. 

Message 11 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Although I have other cards with higher rewards, I chose them when I needed to give an AU card to a relative.  I needed to know there would never be a problem, and so far they have been flawless (as expected). 

I don't have to be concerned with overly sensitive fraud algorithms (for better or for worse...) and I've experienced consistently good customer service the few times I have needed to reach out to them (even the foreign CSRs have been good). 

Sure, there are a few things I would change if I could be CEO for a day (i.e. interest rate adjustments) but not many of us carry balances anyway, so that's mostly academic around here. 

I understand that there will be some who disagree (and that's OK) but I'm a big fan.  They were with me when times were tough, and they're still serving me well now.

I'll have Capital One in my wallet for as long as they'll have me.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ozix,   Congratz to you, and your willingness to Thank  Capital One, for a reason you thought was worthy!

Sharingan wrote:

I had terrible experiences with Capital One back in '09/'10, particularly with their deplorable customer service. I returned to them 1.5 years ago and haven't really had an issue since then. I do maintain a Venture card with them that has quite a substantial credit limit that I really enjoy traveling with (as long as they keep waiving the AF, as they have been). I don't believe they deserve very much praise or reverence in my experience because they simply do not compare with the other banks I do business with. Capital One seems content with being average and marginal, so I'm fine with considering them as such. 

* In My Experience,

I want to Thank Capital One for the $10,000 QuickSilver MC they provided me in early Jan 2017.

I am sure I could have gotten a rejected - form letter stating a denial, but they didn't.  They gave me an immediate approval.

To be fair, I did include Capital One in my recent Ch 13 Bk, so they could have easily flushed my App and took Three Hard Pulls along with it, but they didn't.

Perhaps I was approved by them and others because I "Paid in Full" all of my creditors in less than 12 months into my Bk? 

Who knows! Who cares? Not Me!

So let me again say Thank You to Capital One, because in My Experience  they do deserve praise.

Best Wishes!!!

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I really like this lender.  Gave me my first card, can combine cards, I've got two venture 1's, sp cli, don't have to worry about AA, easy to redeem points/miles, decent bonuses...what's not to love?

Exactly!  Churnable bonuses too Smiley Wink  I remember seeing threads of people getting a 2nd and 3rd Venture when the $400 bonus first came out.  Sounds like Cap1 was a lot of our firsts.  The only thing I wish they would change is allow for APR reductions.  But that's digging for something to improve on.  Some lenders you can't consolidate without a HP *cough* Citi.  Some *cough* Chase, will AA you when you try lol

Oz

Yeah APR is the issue I have with them.  They've always gone high with me even as my profile improved over the years.  That being said I'm not really one to be caught paying interest.  But that being said, one day it could become an issue for me and at that point I'd be using different cards.

Message 14 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ozix,   Congratz to you, and your willingness to Thank  Capital One, for a reason you thought was worthy!

Sharingan wrote:

* In My Experience,

I want to Thank Capital One for the $10,000 QuickSilver MC they provided me in early Jan 2017.

I am sure I could have gotten a rejected - form letter stating a denial, but they didn't.  They gave me an immediate approval.

To be fair, I did include Capital One in my recent Ch 13 Bk, so they could have easily flushed my App and took Three Hard Pulls along with it, but they didn't.

Perhaps I was approved by them and others because I "Paid in Full" all of my creditors in less than 12 months into my Bk? 

Who knows! Who cares? Not Me!

So let me again say Thank You to Capital One, because in My Experience  they do deserve praise.

Best Wishes!!!

Yes, let's be intolerant of others' opinions and experiences because they differ vastly from our own. There seems to be a lot of that going on around the country anyway... Notice how you only select the post that doesn't conform to your own beliefs of Capital One to downplay?

Message 15 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ohh, Uncle B....WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET? Smiley Wink
Message 16 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I feel that Capital One offers average products, certainly nothing exciting, but they have a place for those rebuilding or starting out and are typically forgiving. But I feel that once you "move on" to better products, they aren't as great.

Just like anything else, everyone has their opinion on it and that's fine. I don't have a need or use for a Capital One card at this point. A lot of people feel more secure with Capital One cards, in that the occurence of AA seems less frequent, etc. For me, this isn't a big advantage because none of my cards have declined or failed to work when I wanted them to, so I can't say I feel less secure with them.

To each, their own!

Message 17 of 27
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I have nothing but praise for Cap1.  They were not only willing to reopen a relatively-low APR, Venture-equivalent card I had previously closed, but also to permanently waive the AF.  The only challenge has been being able to get CLIs with them on the card since first receiving it in 2012, but I've had much better luck about 4-5 months ago with that, and anticipate another successful incremental CLI sometime this upcoming month, from them.  They wlll always have a meaningful place in my wallet  Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a Sigg Biz Spark card we love.  My wife has a QS  with a nice limit but they show me no love. I have a toy limit QS.  All my other cards have 3 to 10K limits but them. I can't use this with out running to pay it off.  It is my oldest active card so go figure. 

Message 19 of 27
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We have a Sigg Biz Spark card we love.  My wife has a QS  with a nice limit but they show me no love. I have a toy limit QS.  All my other cards have 3 to 10K limits but them. I can't use this with out running to pay it off.  It is my oldest active card so go figure. 

Was it always a Capital One card, or was acquired from another bank? They've been known to treat acquired cards different than their own offerings. Several forum members have expressed disappointment with not being able to get a CLI, or an account combination. 

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.