Everyone with 700+ fico score.

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Everyone with 700+ fico score.

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question about penfed, right now I'm not looking to get a credit card with them but eventually I would like to. I have 5-6 inquries on my report and some people have been saying they don't like inquiries. Does that apply only to credit cards or does that also apply to their membership credit check? Also what bureau do they normally pull from? Hopefully someone doesn't mind answering, thanks.

It's a HP for membership and its Equifax, at least it was when I joined. I have read that the HP for membership is good for up to 30 days if you join and decide to apply for a credit product. They are very conservative and picky and yeah inquiries are a big deal to them, 5-6 inquiries however doesn't seem like a lot but then again I'm not a pen fed UW. Your scores and a clean report will be the biggest factors at the end of the day. 

Well, I applied and they approved my membership. Then figured I would apply for the promise card and was approved for 5k and 9.99%. Lower than expected but recent Venture/NFCU cards may have something to do with it. Oh well, I'm sure it will grow and hopefully eventually they will lower the apr too!

Well there you go, congrats!!! It's a start with penfed which isn't bad, and it will definitely grow, now is a good time to take a garden break and grow some cards. Again Congrats!!!

Message 21 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
One cannot afford to not have a savings fund readily available...

Tell that to the single mom with 3 kids or the person on disability, etc etc.

I've lived in both worlds; divorced, raising a child & working 2 jobs and now re married and comfortable.

I like the latter alot better but I got strength from those lean years.

'One'  must also be aware there is a whole working class of people out there who are doing the best they can. These people don't know anything about the credit game and don't have time to learn.

Message 22 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A lot of AA happens on here because community members often seek credit in excess. They get much more than they actually need, scare a few lenders into AA, and then spread horror stories. The truth is AA is pretty rare for normal people who don't use credit limits to keep score.

Wanting three of the cards you describe strikes me as an example of such excess.

High CLs, low APRs, BT fees, Cash advance fees...they only matter if you don't have an emergency fund. A credit union CC is not a substitute for an emergency fund.

Totally disagree with you.  What is the downside risk of having three 30K limits with 6% interest?  None.  You should have a well balanced portfolio of low rate no fee cards in case life happens beyond or emergency fund and then a few rewards cards.

If you want to smack people down for excess, how about a 35K Lowes limit, 30K Barney's?  Those are useless high limits, but they do help people keep utilization down.

Don't assume that your plan is everyone else's plan.  It's not.

Exactly.

What I like about this forum: the sharing of credit do's & don't aka the 'hustle'.

What I don't like: being told what type credit and amount I should have and to save.  We all know about that rainly day but there are people who are not able, for whatever reason, to save. I don't judge that.

I don't feel the poster was trying to judge or say their way is the BEST way. I think s/he was expressing their opinion. In reading this forum, I have come to realize that a lot of times there's more going on behind the scenes than some of us know about. I want to be clear. My statement is not directed at the OP or anyone above. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A lot of AA happens on here because community members often seek credit in excess. They get much more than they actually need, scare a few lenders into AA, and then spread horror stories. The truth is AA is pretty rare for normal people who don't use credit limits to keep score.

Wanting three of the cards you describe strikes me as an example of such excess.

High CLs, low APRs, BT fees, Cash advance fees...they only matter if you don't have an emergency fund. A credit union CC is not a substitute for an emergency fund.

Totally disagree with you.  What is the downside risk of having three 30K limits with 6% interest?  None.  You should have a well balanced portfolio of low rate no fee cards in case life happens beyond or emergency fund and then a few rewards cards.

If you want to smack people down for excess, how about a 35K Lowes limit, 30K Barney's?  Those are useless high limits, but they do help people keep utilization down.

Don't assume that your plan is everyone else's plan.  It's not.

Exactly.

What I like about this forum: the sharing of credit do's & don't aka the 'hustle'.

What I don't like: being told what type credit and amount I should have and to save.  We all know about that rainly day but there are people who are not able, for whatever reason, to save. I don't judge that.

I don't feel the poster was trying to judge or say their way is the BEST way. I think s/he was expressing their opinion. In reading this forum, I have come to realize that a lot of times there's more going on behind the scenes than some of us know about. I want to be clear. My statement is not directed at the OP or anyone above. Smiley Wink

Sometimes, it's the delivery that gives the reader that impression. 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 24 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@12njoy wrote:

As OP stated s%$t happens.  My firm belief is that you must diversify.  If you put all your eggs in one basket, your bound to get burned sooner or later.  Now some say AA comes with excessive credit, I don't believe that.  It takes a combination of factors for AA.  It is definitely not excessive credit when you don't need it.  Now if you have excessive credit and balances start to rise and you're only making minimum payments then yes you deserve AA (not directing that to you OP). 

+100

Message 25 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question about penfed, right now I'm not looking to get a credit card with them but eventually I would like to. I have 5-6 inquries on my report and some people have been saying they don't like inquiries. Does that apply only to credit cards or does that also apply to their membership credit check? Also what bureau do they normally pull from? Hopefully someone doesn't mind answering, thanks.

It's a HP for membership and its Equifax, at least it was when I joined. I have read that the HP for membership is good for up to 30 days if you join and decide to apply for a credit product. They are very conservative and picky and yeah inquiries are a big deal to them, 5-6 inquiries however doesn't seem like a lot but then again I'm not a pen fed UW. Your scores and a clean report will be the biggest factors at the end of the day. 

Well, I applied and they approved my membership. Then figured I would apply for the promise card and was approved for 5k and 9.99%. Lower than expected but recent Venture/NFCU cards may have something to do with it. Oh well, I'm sure it will grow and hopefully eventually they will lower the apr too!

Congratz Photaz on your approval!!Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 52
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

Golden 1 is great but limited geographically. With that I will add Navy Federal I know it's limited too but it's available to a good chunk of the country in one way or another. They are very generous and easy to deal with, nothing but good things to say. Ironically I never heard of them before I came to this forum. 

Smiley LOL Me either. Along with PenFed & Nasa, NFCU is on my list for 2016.

Edited to add: Maybe 2017

Why 2017? If you don't mind me asking. Your scores are beyond excellent for NFCU, gotta get on the gravy train there in case it dries up. 

Message 27 of 52
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Would like to get a Penfed card but not sure I need one. I have most reward categories covered so getting a card just to get one ..not sure I want to do that. If SM goes by by then yeah but until then I'll just wait.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 28 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
These so-called prime banks will cut you down when your most venerable.

I know what you meant, but this made me lol a little.

Message 29 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll give you a good reason why you need those 30k credit union cc that gives no reward.

Let say I have $100k credit limit with 10% utilization. One day, I get hurt and can't go to work for 6 months. So, I use my emergency fund for regular expense and pay 2x minimum on all cards.

I get a credit alert that myfico has dropped. Go online to Barclay and find my limit slash to $4000. Myfico score drops because I'm 100% on one card. Now I'm pissed at Barclay and rant on myfico about stupid Barclay. Posters suggest bt over to real prime lender.

I try looking for bt cards but get denied due to high utilization on one card. I call amex and ask for a balance transfer, get denied. All other lender deny me too and take aa on me. I get another credit alert, my scores have plummeted because utilization is close to 100% on all account because I'm getting cld. My scores are in 620 range.

Of course, this scenario is not likely, but its pretty close to what happens in a extended case. What if it took one year instead of six months to fully heal?

This is why you need those useless credit union cards that offer no rewards. The people behind them are not some heartless computer or Corp but regular Joe's like you and me.
Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.