Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone wrong about Amex

tag
rred4
Regular Contributor

Everyone wrong about Amex

I always read how Amex likes PIF, I've had my Delta Sky for about  9 months, CL started out a $3,400.  I never PIF my util is always around 30%.  About a month ago I received a letter asking me to upgrade to Plat so I did and today I get a letter from Amex.  WE'VE INCREASED YOUR LINE OF CREDIT.  More than double my CL  so it looks like a lot of people have been guessing what they think Amex likes. And yes I have 3 other cards and the all have at least 15% util

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 750(EQ) 746(TU)
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Everyone wrong about Amex

ymmv
Message 2 of 17
rred4
Regular Contributor

wow

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a high income? They may have some internal marketing data that marks you as a candidate from platinum aside from FICO scores or utility on other cards.
Message 4 of 17
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

my boss, who pif each month, had his limit trippled.  Since I pay all the cc....I saw it and my jaw dropped!

had you pif, you may have had yours trippled.  I think it's a ymmv type thing.

He's also got a wallet of amex cards, but some people can't get more than one. 
Message 5 of 17
rred4
Regular Contributor

No high income I think I put $45,000 or $40,000 on my application so when they verified employment I would have nothing to hide

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a Green, and a Gold a month later, and then that was upgraded to Platinum after a few months (Now I have a Green and a Plat) and I had no income and was a student at the time. They went by household income.

There's definately internal scoring type things going on. It's not 100% FICO for many people it seems. But at the same time of course, it's not 100% income either, as some high income people have had Amex take AA on their account.

Obviously, they like you for some reason.

ETA: well, I just saw your post about income. Either way, they like you for SOME reason...

Message Edited by daggy0001 on 07-10-2008 02:35 PM
Message 7 of 17
biturbomunkie
New Contributor

i wouldn't say everyone is wrong, but i have experienced the same with a diff AX CC. AX offered gold when i was carrying a high balance for quite a while (≥ 70% of CL, 1+ yr). i refused the gold cos it's too flashy. recently, i decided to overhaul my financial stuff and make two large payments to AX in one billing cycle. then they offered a gray card (platinum?) in return and i refused (too cheap to pay the $400+ AF). after that, AX automatically increased my CL by more than double. to make it more puzzling, i've been carrying a balance since day one and have gone over the limit at least once. Smiley Surprised

i've overpaid AX $2k+ by mistake this month. let see if i'd get another offer, or maybe they would flag my account and give me a FR.

Message Edited by biturbomunkie on 07-10-2008 04:28 PM
Message 8 of 17
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

rred4 wrote:
I always read how Amex likes PIF, I've had my Delta Sky for about  9 months, CL started out a $3,400.  I never PIF my util is always around 30%.  About a month ago I received a letter asking me to upgrade to Plat so I did and today I get a letter from Amex.  WE'VE INCREASED YOUR LINE OF CREDIT.  More than double my CL  so it looks like a lot of people have been guessing what they think Amex likes. And yes I have 3 other cards and the all have at least 15% util

They asked you to upgrade?  WOW!  I've had my AmEx for a year, but it's only a clear.  I'm too cheap to pay for a charge card.  Starting limit was $5k.  Latest CL is $15k and that works for me.  I never had the guts to ask for more than a 50% CLI at one time.  Lately I've been considering swithcing it to blue cash though.

Did they hit your CR with an inquiry or did they just switch you from one product to the other?
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

rred4 wrote:

How did you get a credit limit increase on a Platinum?  It doesn't have a CL.

Or did you get an "upgrade" to the Platinum Delta Skymiles card?

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-10-2008 04:27 PM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.