Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everytime I read the words "crapitol one..."

tag
journey258
Frequent Contributor

Everytime I read the words "crapitol one..."

I get a little annoyed. Why is everyone so angry that they've outgrown the card? It served its purpose, and was probably the only card (or at least the most decent card) you could get at the time. I'm sure it wasn't "crap" when you read the word "approved!" Be happy you are now ready (apparently) to move to the next level. If its not growing with you, close it or stop using it and move on. Sheesh.

**drops the mic and steps down from her soapbox**

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Everytime I read the words "crapitol one..."

Any card that tri-pulls is worth getting angry at.

For the record, I've never had one, and I know I probably never will.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 47
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, I agree with you. I think that they are one of the better options out there for people who are building/rebuilding -- especially rebuilding. Their AFs are quite reasonable and they do offer rebuilder cards that have rewards. When you compare their features and fees to, say, First Premier, they are a much better option.  They gave me a chance when I needed someone to, and I earned a bunch of cash back in the process.

Do I wish my card would simply grow? Yes. But, it's not likely to happen and I accept that. Personally, I think it would be great if they changed their business model to allow for growth with improved credit, but it is what it is. They've treated me quite fairly, and even though I'm on the verge of moving on to better cards, I don't begrudge them their business model.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 47
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I think that a lot of the frustration and criticism of Cap1 is related to their "customer support" or lack therof.   

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 47
lithium78
Established Contributor

CapOne frustrates me because when I close the card I will one day lose the history I've built with them.  I wish I could PC to one of their better cards with no AF to continue the relationship with them, but they apparently don't want that.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 47
journey258
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I think that a lot of the frustration and criticism of Cap1 is related to their "customer support" or lack therof.   

Perhaps that's the issue. Other than a couple online chats with general questions I haven't had much need for or contact with customer service. 

Current Score:652 EQ (Beacon 5.0), 647 EX, 647 EQ, 693 TU (USAA CMS), 684 TU (Walmart)
Goal Score:700 across the board

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards Sig ($14k); Chase SW RR Sig ($6); USAA Cash Rewards MC ($2k); USAA Plat MC ($2k); USAA AMEX ($2k) GE/JC Penney ($4.4k); Chase Freedom ($1.5k); GE/Lowes ($1.8k); GE/Amazon ($1.7k); GE/Walmart ($5k); Cap 1 ($1k); Comenity/LB ($1K); Dillards AMEX ($2.1k)
Message 6 of 47
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure how often I have talked with them. The only time that comes into mind is a fraud alert. They caught fradulent charges that I wasn't aware of. However, they didn't catch all of them. I called them and pointed out a couple of charges which they took off without question. So my experience with that department was excellent.

There is the no CLI issue. I don't complain about that. If I want to leave, I'll do so quietly (and I will, shortly).

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 7 of 47
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I have the Venture Siggy Visa. When I opened the account I had a couple of questions and called to ask them. In each case, I spoke with someone in America that was easy to understand, and they provided great service.

This is my first Cap 1 card though... I have not had any of their rebuilder cards. Never needed one.

Bottom line is the service for me so far has been very good.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 8 of 47
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

LOL, since you're on a soapbox, I'll step on mine, briefly.  I'm not sure what people want out of customer service.  I hear so much about bad customer service, yet with my assortment of great cards, mediocre ones,and crappy ones, too, I've never noticed bad service with any of them.  It almost seems as if the worst cards have the best service.  I sometimes wonder if people have unrealistic standards, or if they are not pleasant when dealing with CSRs (which might bring out the worst in anyone.)

Frequent Contributor

I agree with you, OP. I love my secued card from Capital One. It has a reasonable annual fee, I can increase the deposit ANYTIME without a penalty, it reports reguarily (and as unsecured), and payments are processed in a timely manner. Plus, approval is very easy. For those who get $300 CLs from Capital One, honestly, it's their fault. The secured card is so much more powerful, in my opinion, since you set the credit line.

Now, that doesn't mean that Capital One doesn't disappoint. I really do feel they should allow their customers to grow. I hope that with the expansion of their banking with the acquisition of ING and HSBC, they will start to make themselves a more valuable lender, but that is to be seen.

I'm sure when I'm done rebuilding, I will no longer do business with Capital One, unless they decide to grow with me. But otherwise, there are other lenders who will take my business. But I'm not going to call Capital One "crap," because I knew what I was signing up for, and they are good for rebuilding.

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.