cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly 6 mo history, time to get a new card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly 6 mo history, time to get a new card?

Hi all! I am glad that I finally hit the 6 months mark recently. Got my Fico Score from Discover to be 705. Currently I have a Discover it w/ 650 CL (6 months) and a Chase Freedom (4 months) with 1000 CL through Special Consideration. Overall Utilization is ~3% ish.

I applied for PRG one month ago but got denied lol. No green light from recon -- they wanted to pull my history again.

Is it a good time to apply for new cards now? I checked pre-screened offers on virtually every website. Only found some cards like Capital One quick silver which I have no love with.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Exactly 6 mo history, time to get a new card?

I would just garden the rest of the year, if you don't want to do that the just wait a few more months. You don't want the ding from amex to play a role in the potential approval of the new cards you're looking to get.
Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all! I am glad that I finally hit the 6 months mark recently. Got my Fico Score from Discover to be 705. Currently I have a Discover it w/ 650 CL (6 months) and a Chase Freedom (4 months) with 1000 CL through Special Consideration. Overall Utilization is ~3% ish.

I applied for PRG one month ago but got denied lol. No green light from recon -- they wanted to pull my history again.

Is it a good time to apply for new cards now? I checked pre-screened offers on virtually every website. Only found some cards like Capital One quick silver which I have no love with.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

There's no set time to apply for cards.

6 months is a very short time in the world of credit, honestly. You will, as a rule of thumb, not get great approvals yet. If the Quicksilver is useless for you (not sure why it would be at this point), then don't apply for it.

I'd wait for a year of history at least. Many lenders anecdotally prefer at least a year anyway. There is no rush.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll throw my vote in here.  I'm assuming that Amex pulled EX for your denial.  in that case, your TU should be clean.

Look into the Sallie Mae Mastercard.  The card is made for students, so they don't mind a clean, small file.  If you're in the 700s, you should qualify for the card.

THEN, as others have said.. time to garden for a time.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys for replying! Really appreciate it. I will probably stay in the garden till the end of this year. I am not really in need of Credit for now.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thanks for replying! I've heard that capital one pulls from all 3 bureaus   Is that right? Also I have 2% cb on all the purchases I put on my discover it card. So the quicksilver really doesn't look appealing to me 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, thanks for your reply. The crazy thing is that Amex pulled my credit from TU and Experian. Not sure about equifax since I don't have a ministering service on that one. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I would wait until you have at least 12 months worth of history.

I was approved for my first Amex at roughly 13 months of credit history and my CSP with about 15 months.

So clearly history isn't too important, just keep that file clean, and the HP's to a minimum Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.