cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exactly how does US Bank Cash+ Bill Payment category work?

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Exactly how does US Bank Cash+ Bill Payment category work?

I'm not a US Bank Cash+ cardholder but I hope to be some day. Have a question about the Bill Payment category.

I understand the bill categories are phone, internet, cable/satellite TV, utilities and insurance. But exactly how does one set up payment of these bills?

Is bill payment set up on the US Bank website or the utility's website?

Do the utilities charge a surcharge to pay bills by credit card? If yes, does the surcharge negate the benefit of using Cash+?

Any information to maximize the benefit of using Cash+ for Bill Payment is greatly appreciated.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Re: Exactly how does US Bank Cash+ Bill Payment category work?

All you have to do (after selecting Bill Pay as 5% cash back category during the quarter) is to pay the bill using credit card online.

You dont need ti set it up on the US Bank website or through the utility website.

Some utilities do charge a fee for paying it online, but most do not.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@tennisfan78 wrote:

All you have to do (after selecting Bill Pay as 5% cash back category during the quarter) is to pay the bill using credit card online.

You dont need ti set it up on the US Bank website or through the utility website.

Some utilities do charge a fee for paying it online, but most do not.

Yes, and if you have a US Bank checking account, you don't want to set up bill pay from there, as that will pay from the account and not use the credit card, so no 5%!

Re charges: some utilities, in particular mine (NStar and National Grid in MA) don't charge for paying the bill online via ACH (taking it out of a bank account) but do charge a fee for using a credit card.   So if you are relying on this, check with your utilities.

Message 3 of 6
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I pay my applicable bills with this card.

Some things, like landlines and cell phones, you simply set up online if you have verizon or att or whatever. It's easy. If you are on autopay with a debit card visa/MC for these services, just switch the card. Easy. My cable/internet was done with a phone call to my cable company. I am on autopay with them. My insurance is also on autopay through geico. Again, online. All these have no fee.

My electric, gas and water utilities can be more tricky. Mine do not offer autopay through a credit card. So I call every month via the phone number on my bill to pay by credit card and just do it manually. There is a fee for all three of mine. The fees are $4.95 for electric and gas and 3.80 for water. The gas and electric have a max of $600 per transaction. These two are handled Bill Matrixx. It's their policy.The fee is $4.95 no matter how much you charge. So I always charge the max and carry a credit. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 6
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Damn i could get a lot of cash back with card. Insurance alone i pay $476 a month.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 5 of 6
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Self Correction:

I previously wrote:

"My electric, gas and water utilities can be more tricky. Mine do not offer autopay through a credit card. So I call every month via the phone number on my bill to pay by credit card and just do it manually. There is a fee for all three of mine. The fees are $4.95 for electric and gas and 3.80 for water. The gas and electric have a max of $600 per transaction. These two are handled Bill Matrixx. It's their policy.The fee is $4.95 no matter how much you charge. So I always charge the max and carry a credit."

I just paid my gas bill (commercial) and it was $953.61 and I paid it in one transaction. I just assumed it was a $600 maximum because my electric supplier was too. Now that we're heading into winter, my gas bills are naturally higher and this is the first time I've had a bill this high (Normally in the 400s-500s) since I have had the cash+. Maybe $1000 is the max for my gas company. I don't know. I didn't test it. But anyways, I figured I would update my experience. Add in the $4.95 fee and my total charge was $958.56.. A nice $47.93 bonus to start my day. Smiley Very Happy

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.