cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executive AAdvantage World Mastercard offer (100k now showing)

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Executive AAdvantage World Mastercard offer

@Open123 wrote:

Using history as a guide, it's the only one we've got, because of the potential PR hit, Airlines are reticent to devalue during the honeymoon post merger period.  In this case,  since US Air miles holders will likely already experience a devaluation on some of their best in class redemptions, I think it'll be extremely unlike for any kind of across the boards devaluation in the first year or two.

Now, after the "honeymoon" period, we can expect some kind of devaulation propogated by the vast amount of points harvested through all the many Citi AA and US Air sign-up offers over the last several years.  Knowing this, let's be the amongst the firsts "out of the door" redeem them when their value is at its peak.

Well, so much for that theory. I thought AA miles would be safe through 2014 as well and in the dead of night without warning AA devaled in a major way. Lots of people went for this card with specific plans and now they are coming up short on miles for their redemptions. They also closed some other benefits as well that really made american appealing to me. A really despicable way to do business to say the least. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 41 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Executive AAdvantage World Mastercard offer (100k now showing)

Yeah I thought we would be fine through 2014 as well, obviously I was wrong. It looks like American is the victim of America West's crack management team. Cost of everything value of nothing!!
Message 42 of 52
john398
Senior Contributor

Message 43 of 52
red259
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Can't you still use reduced millage awards?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/beyondTravel/creditDebit/citi_reduced_mileage.jsp

No idea as those are not destinations I am interested in. They made drastic changes to the programs and with the new system it seems like they are able to move award seats around into different categories so it becomes more of a shell game. The sad thing is I am sure they are going to do more to gut the program. Real jerk move to heavily promote their credit cards and the deval without giving those people a chance to redeem. I still don't have the frickin miles in my account yet. Really feels kinda shady how this was all timed and done. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 44 of 52
john398
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@john398 wrote:

Can't you still use reduced millage awards?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/beyondTravel/creditDebit/citi_reduced_mileage.jsp

No idea as those are not destinations I am interested in. They made drastic changes to the programs and with the new system it seems like they are able to move award seats around into different categories so it becomes more of a shell game. The sad thing is I am sure they are going to do more to gut the program. Real jerk move to heavily promote their credit cards and the deval without giving those people a chance to redeem. I still don't have the frickin miles in my account yet. Really feels kinda shady how this was all timed and done. 

Thanks, I see now a thread on Flyertalk where people are not happy at all

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-merger/1567274-wiki-aa-quietly-incre...

Message 45 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

What a joke, they gutted this thing.  AAnytime fares???   hahahaha, time to re-think that name!  Adios 3 Citi cards.

Message 46 of 52
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

The loss of international stopovers and explorer awards are the things that hurt the most IMO. The worst part is I don't think they're done yet.

It doesn't make much sense for them to devalue their own metal while leaving their partner award chart untouched. I suspect (like many others) that we'll see a subsequent devaluation for OW partners in the short-medium term future.

I've been resisting it for so long, but it might be time to get the SPG Amex and just dump my domestic non-bonus spending on that. I have quite a few UA and AA miles now, so it might be time to diversify. The number of devaluations we've seen in the past 12 months makes me wary, and I don't see a return to the generous days of the GFC anytime soon. If nothing else it'll keep going in its current direction.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 47 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

The loss of international stopovers and explorer awards are the things that hurt the most IMO. The worst part is I don't think they're done yet.

It doesn't make much sense for them to devalue their own metal while leaving their partner award chart untouched. I suspect (like many others) that we'll see a subsequent devaluation for OW partners in the short-medium term future.

I've been resisting it for so long, but it might be time to get the SPG Amex and just dump my domestic non-bonus spending on that. I have quite a few UA and AA miles now, so it might be time to diversify. The number of devaluations we've seen in the past 12 months makes me wary, and I don't see a return to the generous days of the GFC anytime soon. If nothing else it'll keep going in its current direction.

Yeah im nervous of the OW changes. My whole plan with this has been 2 Business award tkts to SYD on QF metal, but it is quickly turning into a race to the bottom between the big 3 has made me also reconsider holding any airline specific cards any longer. 

Message 48 of 52
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Yeah im nervous of the OW changes. My whole plan with this has been 2 Business award tkts to SYD on QF metal, but it is quickly turning into a race to the bottom between the big 3 has made me also reconsider holding any airline specific cards any longer. 

Where are you planning to fly from? LAX-SYD?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 49 of 52
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

DTW-DFW-BNE-SYD

Seems to have more options than LAX
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.