Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Reporting Wrong Balance

tag
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Experian Reporting Wrong Balance

So, I have an Experian and CITI situation at present.

I have a $0 balance on my CITI account and yet they're still reporting almost a $3,000 balance. I asked Experian to investigate and they did. CITI submitted the same balance. I want this to update at $0 so I can get my utilization as low as possible for when I app next month. I did get a letter from CITI that states I have a $0 balance, so my questions for the Experian and CITI gurus are:

1) If CITI gave me a letter, why didn't they just report my $0 balance?

2) What is the quickest way to get this letter to Experian? Maybe fax?

Thanks,

- UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Experian Reporting Wrong Balance

@Uncle_Money wrote:

So, I have an Experian and CITI situation at present.

I have a $0 balance on my CITI account and yet they're still reporting almost a $3,000 balance. I asked Experian to investigate and they did. CITI submitted the same balance. I want this to update at $0 so I can get my utilization as low as possible for when I app next month. I did get a letter from CITI that states I have a $0 balance, so my questions for the Experian and CITI gurus are:

1) If CITI gave me a letter, why didn't they just report my $0 balance?

2) What is the quickest way to get this letter to Experian? Maybe fax?

Thanks,

- UM

I will bet dollars to donuts that EX never verified that balance with Citi. They verified it with E-OSCAR which is meaningless. You need to file a written dispute and attach a copy of your letter to it. That should do the trick.

Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Experian Reporting Wrong Balance

Was the $0 balance showing on your last Citi statement, and Experian didn't bother to update? Or did you pay off the balance after the statement?

If the latter, I'd recommend that you grit your teeth and wait for the next Citi statement to update you to $0, unless there's some sort of time crisis. I once had to dispute a balance with all three bureaus (store card that wouldn't update to $0.) All three fixed it, but when it happened again four or five months later and I disputed again, EX refused, saying that they'd already investigated. Different issue, different balance, guys.

At any rate, you don't want EX labeling you as a frivolous disputer. When you need them to genuinely investigate something, it's pretty maddening for them to blow you off.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.