cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience on Amex apps with EXP freeze?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Experience on Amex apps with EXP freeze?

I am planning to do an app or two with Amex soon. But I don't want them to pull Experian....which they surly will. My Experian seems to be the go-to bureau with most of my creditors. I have 10 inquiries on it (one of which I am disputing against a credit card processor for an unauthorized HP) as opposed to only 3 and 4 on TU and EQ. 

Any experience that others can share on freezing EX to force Amex to pull another? Complications? 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Experience on Amex apps with EXP freeze?

I applied for my last Amex while my EX was frozen. I had to call them to give them the pin to unlock the report. So no way around forcing them to another report.

Historically, Amex will only do a HP on an existing member if approved. It almost seems that the HP is just to notate that an application was received and new card issued. Since you have a Plum card, this might be all that would happen.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info. Yeah, so there's no way around it. :-(

I actually don't care if they look at the contents of the report. All three bureaus' reports look almost the same except for those darn inquiries Smiley Mad....which also drags down my EX score a bit compared to the other two even though my EQ, for whatever reason, shows the fewest closed accounts and thus has a slightly lower AAoA and length of history. So, you would THINK my EQ had the lowest score but it's actually the middle score because of the inquiries difference. My TU, which I would have liked them to pull, benefits from the highest number of accounts and AAoA and fewest inquiries and has the highest score. But, I would be approved regardless of whichever report they pulled although I slightly worry that the number of inquiries on my EX might get me a slightly lower limit than I would have with the other bureaus. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Score is likely one of the lesser factors in determining limits as compared to:

• Demonstrated history on other tradelines
  • Income
  • Assets
  • Prior history with the lender

These appear to even be more heavily weighted in the Amex spend-centric view of the universe as compared to other lenders.  Generally score gets you in the door, but there's more that happens in underwriting for approval, and especially for the initial credit limit extension.  As such I wouldn't even worry about the inquiries in the slightest when it comes to affecting what limit you receive.

        
Message 4 of 9
djrez4
Established Contributor

Another data point - Applied for Hilton Amex with EX frozen and had to call with the PIN for approval.

I've heard that if you apply for an Amex using a Credit Karma referral link, Amex may pull Transunion.  I completely forgot to try it for the Hilton, though, so have no data to back that up.  Clicking through to the application through Credit Karma does bring you to a different application page than doing it through Amex's website and gives you the 25k points offer instead of the 10k.

Message 5 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

That's a very interesting thought on the credit karma link-through. It very well may be true considering TU is basically supporting credit karma with the credit data end of things. So, it would make sense that TU leverages this as a way in the door to get more HPs from their bureau. Hmmm.

Message 6 of 9
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Thanks for the tips, Revelate.

I actually called business card underwriting and spoke to them about it. He parroted a lot of what you are saying. He said my spending with them (about $60,000 since last April and a monthly highwater mark of $25,000 back in July) along with good faith Q&A on my current business numbers (assuming I am telling the truth with no docs or HP) would hypothetically result in a rough limit of about $22,000 +/- on the SPG Biz. He also said the inquiries aren't a big deal either and that they would address them one on one if they had any questions.

Message 7 of 9
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

That is a very interesting concept.  I would love for somebody to try this and document it.

I just applied and was approved for the Green and my EXP was frozen and had to give PIN as well.

Thanks

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 8 of 9
djrez4
Established Contributor

I have plans to apply for both the personal and business SPGs at the end of the month.  I'll report back then.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.