Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with $5,000+ CL cards

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Experience with $5,000+ CL cards

I said in another thread that I ended my app spree due to that I got denied a Chase Sapphire card.  I tried to recon it via backdoor but still nothing, mostly because they just gave me a Freedom Card with $5k.  The next day I tried to do a 2nd recon, but again, denied and the rep said it's really because I don't have experience with a $5k+ CL's, according to my credit reports, which is definately true.

So now that I got some $5k cards coming in, what's a good way to "gain experience" using these cards?   Just using them like any other card?  I probably won't even charge up more than $500 at a time unless I mostly use them for my everyday normal expenses and bill paying.

I just want to keep that info on hand for when I go app crazy fall 2013 when all of my inquires don't count against me.  For now I'll be gardening.  I'll be eyeing the Chase Sapphire Preferred and AMEX Blue Cash Preferred then.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Experience with $5,000+ CL cards

They just want to see some more 5k+ tradelines that have a little age.  Nothing to do with use etc.  They only like to issue Sapphire Preferred with 5k limits minimum.  So the more tradelines you have over 5k, the more comfortable they are giving you at least 5k.  If you could get some of your older cards past 5k, that would help.  Don't think there is easy way for them to determine when a tradeline got a CL increase.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 11
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

They just want to see some more 5k+ tradelines that have a little age.  Nothing to do with use etc.  They only like to issue Sapphire Preferred with 5k limits minimum.  So the more tradelines you have over 5k, the more comfortable they are giving you at least 5k.  If you could get some of your older cards past 5k, that would help.  Don't think there is easy way for them to determine when a tradeline got a CL increase.

Ya, she told me Sapphire "is their premium card and starts at $5k" - this was after I explained that while I just opened accounts, I'd be happy if they started me at $2k.  I was so embarassed.  Smiley Embarassed

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 3 of 11
YahComb
Established Contributor

None of the cards in your sig are reporting yet right? New or not, they would have helped your cause(especially the Discover) 

Since you do have the Freedom now, you may want to try recon one more time, seeing if you could get approved for the Sapphire by moving some 2-3K of your Freedom limit over. It might be that the total exposure limit (amount you can have between all cards combined) is under 10K for right now.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Wait 6 months and go for it, the 5k+ TL's will have some age then.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

No none of them are reporting yet as I just apped them.  I thought about decreasing my Freedom line for the Sapphire line when I was reconning, but decided to just hold off and that.  Beggars can't be choosers right?

My Wallet:
Message 6 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

It's always worth a shot if you really want the Sapphire now, but is wait until they all report then revisit it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 11
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'm just going to garden for 6 mnths and reapp.  No worries.

My Wallet:
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Razeus wrote:

I'm just going to garden for 6 mnths and reapp.  No worries.

I think that's your best course of action.  I would also recommend giving your Freedom some decent usage during this six months and always pay in full.  I think this will help you get another $5K line from Chase without having to move over any of your Freedom line.

Message 9 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Wait 6 months and go for it, the 5k+ TL's will have some age then.

+1

they just want to make sure you don't go crazy its a lot harder to pay off/down a $5k  than a $2k card. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.