Contributor
wealthcreator

Experience with Discover and Chase Rewards

Recently I have purchased something from Discover OnlineShop, I was supposed to get 5% cashback in statement but did not.

I send them message from online account (messages->compose message->rewards related) and they credited cashback within 1 day.. awesome..

Then I realized that I have shoped few items online/offline which I could have shopped using discover onlinestore to get 5%. I submitted request for those as well .. wow.. discover rocks.. they provided me cashback for all those which were elligible..

Now I am Fan of Discover..

I thought of trying same thing with chase, where I have not received cashback from their onlinestore for debit card offers.. Its since 4 days I am struggling with to explain the things over phone and email. Chase is very slow in process and not sure if they will be able to credit cashback at the end or not.

Walmart TU-724 on 12-2012
EX-707 on 08-2012
EQ-668on 08-2012
navigatethis12

Re: Experience with Discover and Chase Rewards

I am surprised Discover gave you the cashback for the purchases you did not do through their online portal. That is a 5% loss for them without getting anything from the retailer like they usually would.

In my experience Chase is usually good about resolving problems fast and crediting points that are missing. Sometimes they even give you more than asked for. You said email, do you mean the secure message center?

Contributor
wealthcreator

navigatethis12 wrote:

I am surprised Discover gave you the cashback for the purchases you did not do through their online portal. That is a 5% loss for them without getting anything from the retailer like they usually would.

In my experience Chase is usually good about resolving problems fast and crediting points that are missing. Sometimes they even give you more than asked for. You said email, do you mean the secure message center?

Yes, Chase Secure Message center. Chase should have closed this issue by confirming if they can credit cashback or not..

I am not sure if discover will not get anything from the retailer. Originally it happened that I went from their online store but still missed cashback, so it can happen many times that refering URL is not being identified by retailer. I think discover is under no loss untill we are getting refered by any other site and asking Discover to credit cashback.

Walmart TU-724 on 12-2012
EX-707 on 08-2012
EQ-668on 08-2012
navigatethis12

wealthcreator wrote:

Yes, Chase Secure Message center. Chase should have closed this issue by confirming if they can credit cashback or not..

I am not sure if discover will not get anything from the retailer. Originally it happened that I went from their online store but still missed cashback, so it can happen many times that refering URL is not being identified by retailer. I think discover is under no loss untill we are getting refered by any other site and asking Discover to credit cashback.

Strange, usually the secure message center resolves problems in a few hours.

I misunderstood about Discover. I thought you were saying that you did not go through there and noticed that you should have after the fact, and were then asking Discover about it. That happens with a lot of cashback websites in my experience. All are usually quick to resolve it though.

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

This thread reminded me to check ShopDiscover for travel partners... for an upcoming business trip (I didn't need flight or car, just hotel)

Low and Behold... Hotels.com is a shopDiscover partner... I got 5% cash back for booking at the same hampton Inn I would have used anyways :smileytongue:

Thanks guys!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
JPersat

Nice! I'm anxiously awaiting my cashback....should get about $50-75 just from using shopdiscover today!

Starting Score: 492 02/12
Current Score: TU: 668 (FICO), EQ: 668 (FICO). EX: 651(lender pull 9/27/12)
Goal Score: 660

Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Weird...Chase helps me asap!! I requested some cashback recently and got it in two days, right into my Chase acct. I really like Discvr too!!! They're always so nice!!!! And helpful!! Take their survey if you can, I did :-) Otoh, Citi&BOA suck... Hope they don't need another bailout again :-X Pahhaha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Blogger
HiLine

I've heard Discover has been consistently ranked #1 for customer service and loyalty. From my personal experience with them, this comes as no surprise.

Valued Contributor
CreditScholar

I can't speak for Discover, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Chase. The only time my UR mall points failed to purchase, I rang up and they fixed it immediately. The CSR also gave me an extra 2,500 points for the trouble.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Regular Contributor
SportBike4Life

Wow, I think I am going to try shopping through Discover now :smileywink:

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now :smileywink:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}