Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with AMEX SPG

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Experiences with AMEX SPG

I've always wanted to have this card in my wallat .. but haven't had any luck with AMEX getting approved for it even thought I've been a card member with them for over three years. 

So I wanted to ask about your experiences with the card .. when you were approved what was your score? Was it your first AMEX card? What was your limit?

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
IWOL
Established Contributor

Re: Experiences with AMEX SPG

I was recently approved for the SPG, it is my fist AMEX. My EX score is 686. My AAoA is 3 years with oldest account 18 years.

they gave me a low starting limit of $1k despite having several other cards in the $10k range and 20 open revolving lines  averaging $5k.

My score is probably at 686 mostly due to not micro managing my reported balances and Util is showing 25% overall with balances reporting on  9 of 20 CC. no baddies on my report.

Message 2 of 9
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

I really want to app for this card in summer if next year! I am waiting for some inquires to age and to pay down on my cc. I currently my AAoA is2yr 9mths. My oldest line is 13 years.

Message 3 of 9
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Seems like a pretty hard card to get approved for .. even harder than the BCE.

I was denied for it with a 699 Score and 2 years of AAoA ( 2 years with AMEX too) and %18 utilization overall. 

Current Cards:
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually just got approved for this one on 7/3. Super exceited because it's my first AMEX, though my limit ($2,200) isn't that high, I'm sure I can get a CLI in the future. My score though was around the 680's when I applied.

Message 5 of 9
noobody
Established Contributor

My BCE was approved for 20k, applied SPG last month got 5k limit, my lowest!
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 6 of 9
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

I've been with AMEX for two years with three cards ( PRG and BCE and Gold Corporate) .. and I've been denied the SPG several times. I think it's a matter of internal scoring .. I carried a balance during the first 10 months of opening my account for the BCE .. I think that lowered my score with them a lot! 

Current Cards:
Message 7 of 9
One7
Valued Contributor

I was approved for it back in March after numerous failed attempts to get the Amex PRG (5 tries in a year, I was told it was easier to get a charge Amex than a revolver). I finally said screw it I'm going to try a revolver and went for the one I wanted, the SPG and was approved after 2 days of "in review". I was surprised and super excited,  my first Amex ever. It was a small amount of $1K but I couldn't complain because I was finally in. My scores were 680s at the time and I had 18 INQs on my EX report with an AAOA of 8 months and no baddies. Since then I had a CLI to 3K and have added two more Amexs (3 if you include my Dillards but that doesn't really count) including the PRG FINALLY! lol Good luck to you.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 8 of 9
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

@One7 wrote:

I was approved for it back in March after numerous failed attempts to get the Amex PRG (5 tries in a year, I was told it was easier to get a charge Amex than a revolver). I finally said screw it I'm going to try a revolver and went for the one I wanted, the SPG and was approved after 2 days of "in review". I was surprised and super excited,  my first Amex ever. It was a small amount of $1K but I couldn't complain because I was finally in. My scores were 680s at the time and I had 18 INQs on my EX report with an AAOA of 8 months and no baddies. Since then I had a CLI to 3K and have added two more Amexs (3 if you include my Dillards but that doesn't really count) including the PRG FINALLY! lol Good luck to you.

That's great .. it gives me hope to try again in a year or so.

I just opened 4 new accounts .. the problem is I don't get why I'm getting denied. Whenever I call I get a person from overseas reading what the CB thinks as negative factors in my report! 

Current Cards:
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.