Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert help...Making money with Citi DC

tag
Superman85
Regular Contributor

Expert help...Making money with Citi DC

Just got approved for the Citi DC card with a CL of $5,500.

I’ve had some experience with other cashback cards but never really got intentional about making money with them. I’ve recently decided to give it a shot with trying to get the most bang for my buck with a good solid cashback card. I decided on Citi DC.

Now, I just need some advice on what would be the best method to use in order to get the most out of the card. My initial idea is to give a card to my wife also and just put all her expenses and my expenses on the card and then we pay the card off before the statement cuts. Not sure if it matters whether I pay after statement cuts but basically just want to make one large payment to Citi at end of every month.

Has anyone had success with this type of method and is it worth the hassle? I’ve also read other places that some people pay the card payment through their bank account. I can see how that would be more convenient.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Expert help...Making money with Citi DC

@Superman85 wrote:

I’ve had some experience with other cashback cards but never really got intentional about making money with them. I’ve recently decided to give it a shot with trying to get the most bang for my buck with a good solid cashback card. I decided on Citi DC.

Now, I just need some advice on what would be the best method to use in order to get the most out of the card. My initial idea is to give a card to my wife also and just put all her expenses and my expenses on the card and then we pay the card off before the statement cuts. Not sure if it matters whether I pay after statement cuts but basically just want to make one large payment to Citi at end of every month.

Has anyone had success with this type of method and is it worth the hassle? I’ve also read other places that some people pay the card payment through their bank account. I can see how that would be more convenient.

Congrats on your Citi DC!  Smiley Happy

Different people have different ways of using their credit cards to earn rewards... you'll have to see what method will work best for you

If your Citi DC is your only cash back card at the moment, the logical thing to do would be to use it for all your 'regular' spending, and simply pay the card in full (PIF) each month.  That will effectively give you 2% cash back on purchases you had to make anyway.  Note that some people will pay before the statement cuts to maximize their monthly FICO score, but unless you have an upcoming mortgage or auto purchase that's usually not necessary - at least in my opinion.  (FICO scores have no memory.)

I have a few different cash back cards and that's how I utilize them myself... you won't get rich, but in my own case I usually earn enough cash back to knock a serious dent out of my holiday spending, which is always welcome!   Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Not sure exactly what you are looking for as there is no magic.   For cashback cards, always (well, except when meeting spending requirements for bonus) use the card that gives you the highest % cashback for that transaction.     If you don't have cards that give you more than 2%, then use the Citi DC on everything.

As UncleB says, it won't make you rich (2% is 2%!).   You ask if it is worth the hassle.   Depends what the alternative is:  using a card instead of cash, and paying one  bill per month is less hassle than most things.   Many people who value a simple approach will use a card like DC with everything, even when they have, or could have, a card that pays more on some things.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Luckily citi upgraded my WMC to WEMC and the old WMC still works. So no need to have another account listed on my SO's CRs.

Message 4 of 7
Superman85
Regular Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Superman85 wrote:

Congrats on your Citi DC!  Smiley Happy

Different people have different ways of using their credit cards to earn rewards... you'll have to see what method will work best for you

If your Citi DC is your only cash back card at the moment, the logical thing to do would be to use it for all your 'regular' spending, and simply pay the card in full (PIF) each month.  That will effectively give you 2% cash back on purchases you had to make anyway.  Note that some people will pay before the statement cuts to maximize their monthly FICO score, but unless you have an upcoming mortgage or auto purchase that's usually not necessary - at least in my opinion.  (FICO scores have no memory.)

I have a few different cash back cards and that's how I utilize them myself... you won't get rich, but in my own case I usually earn enough cash back to knock a serious dent out of my holiday spending, which is always welcome!   Smiley Wink

Thanks this is very helpful! I am thinking of exactly that, extra cash for end of year expenses.

Message 5 of 7
Superman85
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Not sure exactly what you are looking for as there is no magic.   For cashback cards, always (well, except when meeting spending requirements for bonus) use the card that gives you the highest % cashback for that transaction.     If you don't have cards that give you more than 2%, then use the Citi DC on everything.

As UncleB says, it won't make you rich (2% is 2%!).   You ask if it is worth the hassle.   Depends what the alternative is:  using a card instead of cash, and paying one  bill per month is less hassle than most things.   Many people who value a simple approach will use a card like DC with everything, even when they have, or could have, a card that pays more on some things.

I'll probably keep tabs on what Discover is offering 5% cashback on at the time and use that for those purchases. Thats probably the only other card i'd use seeing as I havent been ablt to get approved for a Chase Freedom card.

Message 6 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Grats on the card. I'm also of the thought that there isn't a special way to maximize it. Your own personal situation will dictate the outcome. I do like the idea for a little extra cash for the end of the year.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.