Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎01-16-2012
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

1. To be clear, the people recommending a utilization of 1-9% are NOT suggesting CARRYING a balance. They are talking about allowing a balance to post on your statement. Carrying a balance (while sometimes appropriate for an individual) does not boost your FICO score.

2. From a scoring standpoint, FICO typically penalizes you for having more than one card reporting a balance. 

3. While there is strong evidence that having a small balance reporting on one card leads to a higher score than having all cards report zero balance, this is mostly derived from reports from people with good to excellent credit. This may only apply to certain fico "buckets". Personally, I just had a new card report with a utilization >50% and my score didn't change. I then had another card accidentally report an $88 balance (on a 16k limit) and again, no change in score. I suspect this is because I have hit the max score allowed for my bucket (I have some charge-offs from 2006) and such minor factors as 0 vs 5% utilization are being overwhelmed by the larger penalty for serious delinquencies. However, when my score was closer to 650, I would notice a change of a few points when I allowed one card to report a balance of 8%. My only point with this is that nothing is certain in FICO scoring. 

4. Scoring from utilization doesn't carry forward. The only time utilization matters is when you are applying for credit. If you have no intention of applying for something this month, then stressing about zero vs nine vs five is a waste. While letting balances drift north of 80% may make your creditors nervous if they soft pull you, minor fluctuations in score don't matter most of the time.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
New Contributor
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎10-02-2009
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

The problem I have is, I have multiple cards that I use for different reasons (points,Cashback,etc) and the statement dates are all different. What is the best way to juggle multiple card use and optimize Fico score. I've noticed that since I'm using multiple cards to cover different things, and with different statement dates,a balance is always reporting on one card when the one due is reporting zero. Any ideas?

 

 

Monica

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,398
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

The ONLY time you really need to do this is if you are applying for NEW credit in the next month or if you are interested in seeing how high you can tweek your scores.

 

It becomes a part time hobby and quite a lot of work and juggling to do this ALL the time.

 

Here is how you do it:

 

You designate one CC as your reporting CC that will report less than 9% of the grand total of all your CC credit lines. (Add all your CC credit lines together and muliply by .09, this will be the number you CANNOT exceed each month.)(Example: $1000 + $2000 + $300 + $700 = $4000 then $4000 X .09 = $360 )(In this example you CANNOT exceed $360 reporting on one CC)

 

Pay your ZERO balance cards off in full a day or two BEFORE each cards due date. After you make this payment you CANNOT use this card until it reports a zero balance to the CRAs. This will USUALLY occur within 4 days AFTER the due date.

 

When it comes time to pay your reporting card you do the same thing except you leave a balance that is less than 9% of overall CC credit lines. To prevent paying interest on this card you might want to make two payments per month on this card. Once it reports the less than 9% UTI, go back and pay the balance down to zero.

 

Some people are amazed at just how many points you can pick-up this way instead of having even minor small balances reporting on several cards. If your current reporting UTI  is above 10% and spread over 50% of your cards it will make a really big difference in your scores.

 

Hope this explanation was clear enough.

 

Any questions?


Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 707 10/11/15 - EX 813 9/26/15 - TU 711 10/11/15
Established Member
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎07-13-2012
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

Due date? What due date? As in the day the statement closes right 

EQ/637
TU/616
EXP/659


Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,248
Registered: ‎07-18-2009
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

A year or so ago I was transitioning between a thin file (2 CCs) with baddies and a larger clean one (4 CCs) . Throughout this I experimented with fine tuning EQ FICO optimization. What I found was consistent wiht what's reported here except that the highest FICO scores were when I had a balance reporting on a single card and that balance was between 1 and 4% of its CL. At 5% I saw a 3 point drop when I had old CAs reporting and a 5 point drop with a clean file.

 

These are pretty small changes but if I was going for a mortgage I would pull out all the stops and, to make sure my cards were active locs,  make sure I was reporting a balance at least every other month on all my cards and, just before apping, report a small ( <4% ) balance on a single CC.


I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
New Contributor
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎07-26-2012
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

Yes correct me if I'm wrong but...

 

First date is the due date when the month closes and your statement comes out.

After 4 days, the balance is reported to the CRAs?

Then after a week or so, your payment for that month is due. You do not want to pass this date without paying the full balance or else interest will consume you right?

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,248
Registered: ‎07-18-2009
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO


Rackham12 wrote:

Due date? What due date? As in the day the statement closes right 



The reason to pay just before the due date (Date payment is due is printed on your statement) is that it allows you to use the card till then and pay the current balance in full or leaving a small remaining balance for the one card you select while minimizing the time you shouldn't use the card before the next statement cuts a few days to a week later.


I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,248
Registered: ‎07-18-2009
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO


mrwheezy117 wrote:

Yes correct me if I'm wrong but...

 

First date is the due date when the month closes and your statement comes out.

After 4 days, the balance is reported to the CRAs?

Then after a week or so, your payment for that month is due. You do not want to pass this date without paying the full balance or else interest will consume you right?


The goal is always to PIF so no interest accrues in any case. Additionaly, to tune your FICO, you want to prepay all but one of your CCs current balances which will reflect the additional amount you have charged beyond the prior statement's balance..

 


I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,398
Registered: ‎03-22-2012
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO

Alright I'll explain a little more.

 

Payment Due Date: This is the date printed on the bottom of your statement informing you by which date you must make at least the minimum payment.

 

Reporting Date: This is when the creditor reports your payment and balance to the CRAs. This USUALLY happens 3 to 4 days AFTER the payment due date.

 

Statement Date: The day that a new statement is generated for the next month. This USUALLY happens 3 to 4 days AFTER  the payment due date and is USUALLY the same as the reporting date.

 

It kind of looks like this:

 

Payment Due Date August 10, 2012 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>3 to 4 days pass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reporting Date and Statement Date.

 

Then next month:

 

Payment Due Date September 10, 2012 >>>>>>>>>>>3 to 4 days pass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reporting Date and Statement Date.

 

 


Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 707 10/11/15 - EX 813 9/26/15 - TU 711 10/11/15
Contributor
Posts: 211
Registered: ‎07-02-2012
0

Re: Explain 9% uti for optimal FICO


jamie123 wrote:

The ONLY time you really need to do this is if you are applying for NEW credit in the next month or if you are interested in seeing how high you can tweek your scores.

 

It becomes a part time hobby and quite a lot of work and juggling to do this ALL the time.

 

Here is how you do it:

 

You designate one CC as your reporting CC that will report less than 9% of the grand total of all your CC credit lines. (Add all your CC credit lines together and muliply by .09, this will be the number you CANNOT exceed each month.)(Example: $1000 + $2000 + $300 + $700 = $4000 then $4000 X .09 = $360 )(In this example you CANNOT exceed $360 reporting on one CC)

 

Pay your ZERO balance cards off in full a day or two BEFORE each cards due date. After you make this payment you CANNOT use this card until it reports a zero balance to the CRAs. This will USUALLY occur within 4 days AFTER the due date.

 

When it comes time to pay your reporting card you do the same thing except you leave a balance that is less than 9% of overall CC credit lines. To prevent paying interest on this card you might want to make two payments per month on this card. Once it reports the less than 9% UTI, go back and pay the balance down to zero.

 

Some people are amazed at just how many points you can pick-up this way instead of having even minor small balances reporting on several cards. If your current reporting UTI  is above 10% and spread over 50% of your cards it will make a really big difference in your scores.

 

Hope this explanation was clear enough.

 

Any questions?


very useful informatin.

One question, can we keep reporting balance of 9% of highest limit cc? I am just afraid of keeping 360 balance on lowest limit card, e.g cc with 700. This will report 50% utilization on 700 cc. Rather i would like to keep balance of 180 on cc with limit 2000. Whats ur thougts?

Walmart TU-724 on 12-2012
EX-707 on 08-2012
EQ-668on 08-2012
_________________________________
Wallet - Discover 1500 | Chase Freedom 1500 | OldNavy Visa 2750 | Walmart 2000 | Amex BCE 6000 | BoA Visa Sig 5000 | Chase Marriott 5000 | Amex Hhonor 2000 | CSP 5000
__________________________________________

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.