Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain How Citi Double Cash Back Works

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Explain How Citi Double Cash Back Works

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems every few days there appears a post by confused folks who don't understand a rewards program.

No one is confused about how the rewards program work. Some people are confused about the anonymous review of it at Credit Karma.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems every few days there appears a post by confused folks who don't understand a rewards program.

No one is confused about how the rewards program work. Some people are confused about the anonymous reviewer's review of it at Credit Karma.

You deleted the quote in your post and I was not sure what the point of the thread is.

You get the second 1% whenever you pay. It's that simple. 

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You deleted the quote in your post and I was not sure what the point of the thread is.

It's deleted because this thread is kaput, solved, closed, done.

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great card, honored that I was approved for one.  May have low limit, easily thwarted by doing a billpay from checking account for whatever you anticipate your purchases to be!  (great trick by the way for any low limit card)

Are you saying if I plan to purchase a $1,299.99 item, I should just simply pay Citi Bank Double Cash back that amount way before I actually make the purchase?

Yup, from your bank account...as citi wouldnt take a payment that large unless you had that balance.  You wont get 1% for that payment for a statement, after the new purchase registers.  I had a slightly large purchase and tried this and it worked.  Learned the prepay trick from here!

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Learned the prepay trick from here!

I'll be sure to read up on it. Thanks. I'm not the one that likes to carry a balance ever. I'm just here to reap the rewards and not to pay it off.

Message 25 of 27
axlm
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

While I still think I am getting 2%,  I am confused by the purchase tracker and Citi gave no helpful answers.

My September statements has a balance of $25 and the purchase tracker information shows:

Total Payment Made: $27.75

Purchase Tracker: $612.75

Eligible Payment: $27.75

Cash Back on Payments Earned: $0.28

Ending Purchase Tracker: $585.00

That would suggest that if I pay $585 I would get 1% on that payment.    But I only owe $25....

IMO it's a little easier if you look at their online tracker, not the statements. But there is something wrong with yours:

Purchase Tracker (2nd item on your list) is the amount of purchases you made ($612.75), but then Total payment made = $27.75!!

$612.75 - 27.75 =  $585, which should be your statement balance, not $25.

Are you saying your statement balance was $25 instead of $585?

Edit: nevermind, I just noticed you said so at the beggining of your message. It looks your tracker is buggy, maybe you got some refunds or overpayed at some point?

I would suggest you try to get in touch with their Digital Team (or whatever the name, the guys that actually code/maintain the web stuff). I recently had some issues with some transactions on my Discover Checking, and after 2 days, lots of secure messages and a couple of hours on the phone, I finally realized I was talking to the wrong people. I would say the typical frontline CSR does not have a better understanding of this stuff than you do.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 26 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's deleted because this thread is kaput, solved, closed, done.

There's no need to delete.  Others can benefit from the thread (some do search) but not without the missing information.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.