Explain How Citi Double Cash Back Works

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Explain How Citi Double Cash Back Works

@Anonymous wrote:

This user from the same web page communicates better:

"Fact: 1% Cash Back on Purchase, no caps

Fact: 1% Cash Back on Payments, even if you choose not to pay the entire balance. (But do the math for your spending and paying habits; the extra 1% could be thwarted if you carry a balance.)  If you pay your current balance before your current statement close date, you get the full 2% in the same statement.  Otherwise, you will get the 1% Payment Reward on the following billing cycle.  

Fact: Redemption methods are statement credit , gift card and check.  You can redeem at a minimum of $25.

Fact: Rewards will expire if you do not earn any rewards for 1 year. Basically if you stop using your card for 12 consecutive months, your rewards will expire.

Fact: You do actually speak with a person immediately when you call.  I have only had to call once when I was unable to active my card online. "

From what I read from the previous author is that it seems he/she is saying that if you pay to early, you do not earn the extra 1%. Of course, I will not, or can not pay if the merchant's charge is still in pending?

I think you might be misunderstanding what that poster is saying (no fault of yours, since it's not very straightforward!).  Similarly to what other posters have already said in this thread, you don't get the second 1% until you actually pay your card off.  If you wait to pay until your statement cuts, you still get the second 1%; you just have to wait until that payment goes through.  Essentially you don't get the full 2% immediately, but you do still get it.

QS definitely seems like an easier redemption process in that you get the 1.5% immediately instead of a slight delay, but otherwise that's the only advantage of DC when it comes to the cash back.

EDIT: the review is technically useful, just a bit confusing/poorly worded Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you might be misunderstanding what that poster is saying... just a bit confusing/poorly worded

I don't care what the anonymous author at Credit Karma that I quoted had to say. I'll pay the entire balance before the statement date, leaving no balance to claim my 2% cash back.

As I said, it was wordy. And it contradicted what everyone said here.

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't care what the anonymous author at Credit Karma that I quoted had to say. I'll pay the entire balance before the statement date, leaving no balance to claim my 2% cash back.

As I said, it was wordy. And it contradicted what everyone said here.

Considering your OP says

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone explain what he is trying to say clearer? This paragraph seems wordy for a credit card nub such as myself.

It does seem like you care what they had to say; you just didn't understand it. Like I said before they didn't say anything wrong, just poorly.

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think you understand what I was confused about but forget it. Everything is A-Okay now. Thanks for your reply.

Message 14 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Don't pay any attention to that ill-informed review...

It is unfortunate that 67 out of 72 users voted the anonymous users review as useful so that it is the first review that people see for the Citi Double Cash Back card.

It is unfortunate, but that is for Citibank to deal with (assuming they even care) if they are going to have their products advertised on that site. I would imagine that some of those 67 may even be disgruntled applicants.

Message 15 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

While I still think I am getting 2%,  I am confused by the purchase tracker and Citi gave no helpful answers.

My September statements has a balance of $25 and the purchase tracker information shows:

Total Payment Made: $27.75

Purchase Tracker: $612.75

Eligible Payment: $27.75

Cash Back on Payments Earned: $0.28

Ending Purchase Tracker: $585.00

That would suggest that if I pay $585 I would get 1% on that payment.    But I only owe $25....

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great card, honored that I was approved for one.  May have low limit, easily thwarted by doing a billpay from checking account for whatever you anticipate your purchases to be!  (great trick by the way for any low limit card)

Quicksilver does provide rewards much more easily.  But I actually ended up liking the DC more.  Since the rewards take longer to process, and have minimums to redeem, I find myself redeeming for larger amounts than on Quicksilver!  I pay all my utility/medical/pharmacy bills with it and anything else that isnt gas or restaurants (PRG).

I can confirm, no matter how you pay, or even if you redeem cash back, you still get 2%.  1% when u swipe, and 1% no matter when u pay so long as you had purchases to pay of course.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Great card, honored that I was approved for one.  May have low limit, easily thwarted by doing a billpay from checking account for whatever you anticipate your purchases to be!  (great trick by the way for any low limit card)

Are you saying if I plan to purchase a $1,299.99 item, I should just simply pay Citi Bank Double Cash back that amount way before I actually make the purchase?

Message 18 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The following quote is found at Credit Karma. Here is what he/she has to say:

"Initially excited 2% cash back is a great reward. However, the details matter. You don't get the 1% of purchase as you make them - only after the billing statement closes. You MUST pay attention to when you pay the bill -> if you pay the balance too early, [you] don't get the 1% back on of payments. The payments must be captured on a "purchase tracker" -> which can be much later than when you make the charges.

But what really annoyed me -> they "hold" payments for up to 5 business days.  The payment will show as posted..but will not increase your available balance.  They claim this is to make sure the "funds" clear -- but then why show the payment as posted? It should remain at the status of pending. Also, it doesn't not take 5 business days to clear an online electronic payment, especially when the money is withdrawn from bank account within 2 business days!

I prefer the capital one card 1.5% - it is truly no hassle. Earn cash back immediately, payments that post immediately increase availble balance!"

Can someone explain what he is trying to say clearer? This paragraph seems wordy for a credit card nub such as myself. I guess the second paragraph is just general ranting and that I should focus on the first paragraph.

1. You have to wait a month to get half your points.

2. You have to wait 2 months to get the other half of your points

That's what he's saying.

In addition I would say the following about it:

3. It gives low credit limits.

4. In 9 mos. it's never given me a credit limit increase.

5. After the 1st month I couldn't make any balance transfers.

6. You can't redeem your points until you accumulate 2500 of them

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please search the forum and do your reading. Many, many threads on this already.
It seems every few days there appears a post by confused folks who don't understand a rewards program. Someone write a masterthread for DC...

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.