Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain a Balance Transfer

tag
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

Explain a Balance Transfer

Can someone explain a balance transfer to me.Can someone tell me is a balance transfer good or bad? I have a Tribute card that once was an Imagine Card, that I do not want it was just a starter card for me.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Explain a Balance Transfer

In a balance transfer, you basically submit a request for one credit card to assume a balance (usually in full or a substantial amount) you have on another credit card.  Sometimes this is done as part of the initial application process for a new card.

It can be good or bad.  It's good when you get a better interest rate on the card that assumes the balance, so pay it off quicker and it costs less to pay it off.  It can impact your util in a good way as well, but only if you keep the old cards open and don't charge them back up.  It's bad when you use balance transfers to pay off a bunch of cards, and then charge those same cards back up.  Balance transfers can be expensive-there is usually a fee associated with the transfer that can make it as expensive as leaving the balance where it is.

Not really understanding what your situation is, but it sounds like you're carrying a balance on a "starter" card.  You may be better off just paying off your balance, and then trying to get a better card.  Hard to say without more information.

Message 2 of 4
ladyvg270
Regular Contributor

When I pay this starter card off should I close it? Tribute (starter card) they do not give credit increases over $30 and when they give that you only get like 11.00 of it added to your available credit. I HATE this card.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you want to close it?  To punish them for being a bad card?

I would only close it if it won't punish you.  You'll want to consider whether or not you have to pay an annual fee for the privilege of having the card, along with the age of the card in relation to the age of your other accounts, and whether you can/will replace the amount of available credit that you have with that card.  You'll take a ding if it's one of your older open accounts, and if you lose much util with the closure.  May be worth it anyway.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.