Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain to me why I was declined for a airline credit card

tag
TommyL
New Visitor

Explain to me why I was declined for a airline credit card

I just applied for a airline credit card but I was declined with the reason HIGH RISK Status on my credit.

Here my current status:

I make over 40K with 13yr on my current job
I never ever make any late payment
NO mortgage payment
NO car payment
NO balance on my credit cards except for the one I use to purchase for everything and pay off at the end of the month
I have some credit cards with 12K-24K credit line rarely use and 4K credit line use to purchase goods every day for cash rebate.

My Credit Score: Equifax 807,  Experian 813 and TransUnion 814

I applied LOWES credit acrd about 6 months ago.

Can anyone explain more why I was declined for a Airline Credit Card.  The reason that I need a Airline Credit Card because I am planning travel more in the future

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Re: Explain to me why I was declined for a airline credit card

What card company I would try for reconsideration. Are those fico or fako scores.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 32
TommyL
New Visitor

NO ...Theses are real my credit score

Message 3 of 32
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My only assumption would be that your credit lines are close to, or exceed your income.
Message 4 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Where did you get your EX score from?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 32
mirachi
Regular Contributor

@TommyL wrote:

I just applied for a airline credit card but I was declined with the reason HIGH RISK Status on my credit.

Here my current status:

I make over 40K with 13yr on my current job
I never ever make any late payment
NO mortgage payment
NO car payment
NO balance on my credit cards except for the one I use to purchase for everything and pay off at the end of the month
I have some credit cards with 12K-24K credit line rarely use and 4K credit line use to purchase goods every day for cash rebate.

My Credit Score: Equifax 807,  Experian 813 and TransUnion 814

I applied LOWES credit acrd about 6 months ago.

Can anyone explain more why I was declined for a Airline Credit Card.  The reason that I need a Airline Credit Card because I am planning travel more in the future

@Anonymous didn't specify how many cc's you have between 12K and 24K but assuming you have 1 cc @ 12K, 1 cc @ 24K, and another @ 4K, you're already at 40K...

EDIT: missed the "over" bit in income but I'm assuming your available CL are still pretty close to your income

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 6 of 32
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Have you received your denial letter yet? That will give you the reasons for your denial. Then you can call to re-con with answers to each of their concerns.

Which CCC?
Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 7 of 32
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

I might be wrong, but the fraud prevention system might have flagged your application exactly because of overall "stability" of your portfolio and your usage pattern - if you haven't applied for a new card for years showing stable use on one of your existing cards, than there might be a huge risk of identity theft and someone else applying for the new card impersonating you. This is especially true if you tried to apply to some lower-tier card and/or card that might have immediate access line (e.g. to purchase tickets, like Amex Delta or Citi Expedia).

Anyway, what I've mentioned above is just speculation with that limited amount of information you provided, so you best shot might be to call recon line and ask what exactly they were concerned about...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 8 of 32
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

What card or bank? 

Message 9 of 32
TommyL
New Visitor

All credit cards balance is Zero. I pay off every month for the one that I use everyday for foods, Gas, books, etc.....

@jsucool76 wrote:
My only assumption would be that your credit lines are close to, or exceed your income.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.