Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension for 0% Promotional APR for Balance Transfers

tag
WJL
New Contributor

Extension for 0% Promotional APR for Balance Transfers

Hi everyone,

I am planning to do a balance transfer on my barclaycard (0% promotional APR through Oct 2016). I called their customer service to ask if they can extend the Oct 2016 through at least Dec 2016 and the rep gave me a semi-confident response that "it's up to the marketing team / terms cannot be changed". I did not have any expectations when I made the call, but her response made me want to do a little more digging. 

Does anyone know if it is possible to extend the 0% promotional period for balance transfers? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Extension for 0% Promotional APR for Balance Transfers

It makes sense on what the rep said. Mainly because they obviously want to market their card tk get more people but want money too. As for your question, I think it will end up being more along the lines of you could ask for an extension but generally once your promo ends. Like I know for myself personally Discover offered me another BT promo of either 0% for X mos. or a low APR promo for a few months longer. However that was once my first promo ended. Because they said it needs to end before any new one is applied. Barclay's might be different, but my guess is that might or will be the case.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

You can ask, but I think these routine BT offers are set to a certain time frame.

Having said that, I'm on a 0% BT offer with one of my US Bank accounts, which was running from August 2014 to March 2016. I got a call the first of September 2015 they offered to extend the same BT for another 6 months for an additional 3% fee.I took the offer, because the 0% that this was on was the only one in that sequence at 0%. They were 3.99% plus the 3% fee around that one in August 2014 and since. Now the offers are back down to 0%, but I'm on this one to August 2016, so will revisit on the lower amount then.

OP, why do you want to extend it for 3 months? Seems a bit like poking the bear, with Barclay seeming to be bipolar about BT offers. I'd take the offer through October 2016, and then cross the bridge when October 2016 rolls around. Discover or BofA will probably have BT offers for you at that time anyway.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think Barclay will extend the BT offer to December. If it doesn't work for you, I would look into BoA and Discover It. If you don't have any offers with BoA and Discover, I know you can ask for one. Best of luck to you!

Message 4 of 5
WJL
New Contributor

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! I will take the 0% BT offer and call barclay before its expiration date and see if they can extend it longer. I figured it would be worth a shot to call and ask them you know? Smiley LOL I also understand from their side that they'd be less willing to do it. I can also do another BT transfer if all else fails. Better yet, I will focus on getting the balance paid off/as low as possible! 

Much appreciated for your thoughts and advice!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.