Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra card for spouse

tag
Poppa
Established Contributor

Extra card for spouse

I want duplicate cards so me and DW can both have one. Not wanting to add her as AU.

If I ask for a replacement card due to damage would this be a solution?

I would like to have a duplicate of each of my cards.

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Extra card for spouse

@Poppa wrote:

I want duplicate cards so me and DW can both have one. Not wanting to add her as AU.

She shouldn't be using a card that doesn't have her name on the front of it.

Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did this with several of my cards because my husband always has his wallet and I hate dragging my purse around. When I need a card I just ask him for it but I have mine if he isn't around. Smiley Happy

To answer the OPs question; I just contact the companies and told them my magnetic strips had stopped working and asked them to send me a duplicate card. If I got any push back (only once) I told them I had subscriptions set up to charge to the card and I didnt want to have to update my CC info everywhere. Had no issues. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 33
Poppa
Established Contributor

Are you married? My wife does the shopping in my world. When they start asking people for I.D. again then maybe that statement has merit.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

Message 4 of 33
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Do you have any Chase cards?
If you do, add her as an AU. Then as soon as you have the card and its activated, remove her as an AU. Chase card # and CV3 are identical, and the card will still work, even after she is removed Smiley Happy
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Poppa wrote:

Are you married? My wife does the shopping in my world. When they start asking people for I.D. again then maybe that statement has merit.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

It doesn't matter if any of us are married or not, nor does it matter who does our shopping.  Some issuers (i.e. Amex) are known to be really picky about their cards not being transferable, and in some areas merchants are known for always asking for photo ID whenever a card is used.  Because of this you're going to get mixed feedback on here.

The simplest thing to do would be to make your wife (or husband, or child, etc.) an AU on the account; this would guarantee they would never have a problem using the card, either with the merchant or the issuer.  Any other workaround will always be YMMV.

Message 6 of 33
Poppa
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

It doesn't matter if any of us are married or not, nor does it matter who does our shopping.  Some issuers (i.e. Amex) are known to be really picky about their cards not being transferable, and in some areas merchants are known for always asking for photo ID whenever a card is used.  Because of this you're going to get mixed feedback on here.

The simplest thing to do would be to make your wife (or husband, or child, etc.) an AU on the account; this would guarantee they would never have a problem using the card, either with the merchant or the issuer.  Any other workaround will always be YMMV.

Actually by definition the "simplest" thing to do is getting a replacement. Not Opening a new account on my wife's credit file for every card she uses of mine. I did mention in my post I wasn't looking to do that. Neither of us has ever been asked for an I.D. when using credit so that's not an issue we worry about. Anyway I wasn't asking about the legalities of it but thanks for the concern. I only want duplicates to my cards.

Message 7 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Pragmatically you should be fine.  As mentioned above, just need to make sure that they will send you a duplicate rather than treat it as lost/stolen and give you a new account.   Also, if you do this too near the expiration, they may give you a card with a new expireation/code and the old one wouldn't work.

You presumably know how the places you intend to use it work, most places never see the card these days.   And, if worse comes to worst, just say that you picked up the wrong card (have another with the right name for these situations!)

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Poppa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

I am married...she has her cards and I have my cards. If I give her a card of mine, it has her name on it, and vice versa. Still lots of places checking for IDs and name matches in my neck of the woods.

Message 9 of 33
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

I am married...she has her cards and I have my cards. If I give her a card of mine, it has her name on it, and vice versa. Still lots of places checking for IDs and name matches in my neck of the woods.

+1

Same here... it must be regional.  Other than trivial purchases for fast-food, most places I shop now require picture ID with all purchases.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.