Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAKOs vs FICOs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FAKOs vs FICOs

Why are they so different? And should I just ignore the FAKOs?

Here are mine at the start of my rebuilding.

FICO TU 539 EQ 534 EX 616
FAKO TU 545 EQ 598 EX 524

Why do they bother with FAKOs?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: FAKOs vs FICOs

FICO's are based on (semi-) known and understood formulas created by FairIsaac Company. They are widely used in the credit industry.

FAKO's are, well, fake. No one knows the formulas behind them (and there are many different kinds), very few lenders use any of them at all, they have completely different score ranges from FICO's, and they are generally meaningless. It's like getting updated sports scores from a sport that no one has seen played and whose rules and scoring system are unknown.

There is one scoring system, called the Vantage score, that was created by all three CRA's in an attempt to break FICO's monopoly. It combines info from all three reports, so there's only one score. Some lenders appear to be using it, but the same lenders are also pulling FICO's, doubtless in an attempt to get a feel for how well it predicts. My guess is that FICO 08 is the counter-response to Vantage score, but that's completely my guess.

I'm sure that there are charitable explanations for why companies invent FAKO's. The cynical among us figure that they're a good way to fleece money from unknowing consumers. Smiley Happy

So, yep, just ignore them. If you get them with a credit monitoring service, use the reports function and line the hamster cage with the scores. The same applies to their often-scary advice.

My TC FAKO's, as of today:
EQ: 732
TU: 697
EX: 657

My FICO's, as of a week or so ago (no big changes):
EQ: 709
TU: 728
EX: 730

I mean, puh-leeze. And I really don't ever look at them, except today, for another post, when I was trying to show how ludicrous they are.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Logical
Regular Contributor

Not only do I look at mine, I graph them! Smiley Surprised  Anytime TC or CS score changes in one of the three CRAs I type in all three numbers. The average of the three is what is graphed. Comparing the graphs of those two with the graph of PFico I see (just looked) the general up and down tendencies is the same in all three. I just cannot justify spending that much on Ficos more than once or twice a year, but this way I can get a general view of how things are going.

Works for me Smiley Very Happy - YMMV 
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's impressive that it works out so well for you.

All I can say is that several days ago, a third CC reported a balance (my bad, I lost track.) No response on EQ FICO, which had just lost four points when the second reported, but TC EQ FAKO jumped 30 points.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Why on earth would it have gone up, for having slightly higher balances and an extra account reporting a balance? Abso-freakin'-lutely no other change on the reports at all.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
Logical
Regular Contributor

I just looked through the TC scores. I have conditional formatting which changes the color of the numbers of the one that goes up or down (blue=up - red=down). Very few large jumps and every one is explained (I put notes in the cells). Yesterday Ex jumped 25, but that was because a CC CLI changed the util from over 70% to under 40%. I'm hoping it hits TU by the 1st so I can see what PFico does with it. That will be interesting to see.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.