Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO means nothing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO means nothing?

Hello there. I am new to these forums but have recently been browsing around for a few weeks now. I LOVE IT! I am currently 22 years old and had my first credit card at 18 -- Providian's Democratic Platinum Visa. Yeap, I get a lot of flack from sales clerks for having a political "affiliation" attached to my credit card, which shouldn't really be happening because it's clearly unprofessional. But I'm pretty cool about a lot of things and just laugh it off and tell them "Hey, they must like me because they approved me!" And I really like them too! Four years ago Citi sent me a letter and was denied, and honestly Providian was the only one who had enough faith in me to give me credit. I really like that they show you your FICO/TU score. Now I carry a 12K credit limit with them at 12.99 APR. Two years later, Citi sent me another letter and was approved for the Dividend card. Awesome card, as well! I then worked my way up to a 7K credit limit. I carry about 2.5K balance on both the Citi and the Providian (WaMu) card. So I guess I'm about 5K in the hole right now... usually only use the card to pay college tuition and rent. Smiley Sad I recently applied for an American Express card three weeks ago - the Blue Cash - and finally received it in the mail. I seriously did NOT think I would get approved for it. Ever! Well, AMEX gave me a 15K credit limit. And I really do not know what to do with it. I am broke as a bloke college student, living on pay check per pay check every week. I have a feeling they will most likely decrease my limit once they realize I won't be using it intensely. My TU score is 775 but honestly? It's all just numbers to me at this point.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: FICO means nothing?

Hiya John, welcome to the FICO forums.

You have some fantastic CLs and credit scores for a college student. Keep up the good work!

I don't think you will see any AA from Amex for lack of usage. As long as you use it here and there and pay in full ALWAYS they will probably stay pretty happy with you.

Amex WILL AA you if you max out cards with other lenders though, and they will soft your EX report a couple times a month to check up on you. Just keep doing what you're doing and you should be fine.

Welcome again! And congrats on your shiny new Amex card.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

well then welcome and keep working the numbers.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the welcome! Smiley Happy

Yeah, catching up on all the Amex discussions, it seems like most people here have had bad experiences with them. Makes you not want to make business. I guess I just have to watch myself, which I don't think creates good relationship with a company when you constantly have to watch your back instead of forming a bond. I hope I made the right choice because their benefits seem rewarding.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

People report Great experinces and crappy experiance with Amex- they have millions of customers that only say something by using their card.

I have been with AMEX for a year- and have done almost everything posible to upset them with no AA.

Just use the card and PIF- nice CL !!!!!!!!!  

thatdoodjohn wrote:
Thank you for the welcome! Smiley Happy

Yeah, catching up on all the Amex discussions, it seems like most people here have had bad experiences with them. Makes you not want to make business. I guess I just have to watch myself, which I don't think creates good relationship with a company when you constantly have to watch your back instead of forming a bond. I hope I made the right choice because their benefits seem rewarding.

Message 5 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I agree with Timothy. I love Amex. Even though they did FR me.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 8
kball64
Frequent Contributor

John -

You're doing an awesome job!
Message 7 of 8
cobra19
Valued Contributor

john.........I received my AMEX when I was 18 and carried it with me all through college. I hardly ever used though it and, like every other kid, lived the life of a poor college student. I bounced checks all over town but only used my AMEX when I went home during holidays and summers.

To me, AMEX is like a little old crabby lady - veeeeery conservative and a real pain in the keister. If it wasn't  for the fact AMEX Green and Gold are my 2 oldest cards, I would have cancelled them both a long time ago. What turned me off is that last summer, after being a customer for mannnnnnnny years and pushing through literally hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years, they rejected my card when I went to use it one night to pay for dinner. I swear, if I could have reached through the phone, I would have literally strangled somebody.  

Now, I only use it for online purchases........
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.