cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO score after 6 months of credit history?

tag
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

FICO score after 6 months of credit history?

Hi everyone,

I've been reading here that a FICO score is generated after 6 months of credit history.  And I was wondering if this is an actual fact?

I have two credit cards:
BofA secured CC ($500) Five months history
Cap One secured CC ($200) Four months history

I want to get an auto loan, so I went to my local credit union and they say I need at least 6 months of history, two tradelines, and a FICO score.  I just went for information, I dont have an inquiry from them.

I want to purchase a car next month (my history lenght will be 6 months) how do I know if my fico score is going to be available.  I dont want to waste an inquiry,  I have 4 already.

Can I try to purchase my FICO score here?  If they dont have one for me, are they going to refund my money? Lol is this a stupid question?

Thanks in advance for any help! Smiley Happy

EXP 725 (Amex) EQ 678 TU 735
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: FICO score after 6 months of credit history?

6 months is the norm, I believe.  And if you try and get a FICO score here and you do not yet have one, I believe the failure is free  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO score after 6 months of credit history?

My daughter had a FICO score at around 5 months after getting her first credit card. I was surprised at it myself.

Best thing to do is just check for yourself.

Message 3 of 10
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

can tellRe: FICO score after 6 months of credit history?

I can tell you personally from experience that when I tried to purchase scores from this site, my debit card was charged, then credited about two days later as they CANNOT generate a fico score without having AT LEAST ONE account that was open for six months. I talked to a CSR and she stated that my funds were returned since they could not generate a score. Not all accounts have to be six months old, but AT LEAST one needs to be. I would seriously wait until that time, I can also tell you that the 10 inquiries that I have on my CR's have affected each of my scores. My oldest acct was opened this Feb and my lender pulled 678 when I applied for a low limiit Credit Union CC but its unsecured) on TU and EX.

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 4 of 10
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

Re: can tellRe: FICO score after 6 months of credit history?

Thank you! I am going to wait until next month to try and get it from this site before going to the credit union. I am excited to get a FICO score for the first time Smiley Happy I am letting >7% report, and have no collections or late payments.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a report even if you don't yet have a score though.

Message 6 of 10
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

I looked at my report already ... But I'd need a score to get a good interest rate.

Message 7 of 10
Booner72
Senior Contributor

You wouldn't have an inquiry if you tried to get your score here at Myfico.  I also wonder if maybe you could get TU but not EQ - because maybe one is quicker than the other?  I don't know the answer to that - just wondering out loud.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 8 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@Sophiamarie wrote:
Thank you! I am going to wait until next month to try and get it from this site before going to the credit union. I am excited to get a FICO score for the first time Smiley Happy I am letting >7% report, and have no collections or late payments.

Just fyi the less the percent reporting the better the score when you say greater than 7% do you mean right around 8?

Message 9 of 10
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

Oh I meant < 7%. ... Sorry ... Right now I am letting $ 5.00 report ... I am hoping my score will be in the higher 600's or maybe 700? If I have at least 680 my interest rate will be 3.75% ...

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.