Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

CreditCuriousity wrote:

Really a score is just a general gauge of where your credit stands whether it is a FICO score or a FAKO score.. Granted lender sometimes will solely go off a FICO score for approval or lack of an approval. I think what alot of people tend to overlook is it isn't the score that is really important it is what is your your CREDIT REPORT for each CB.  People can be well into the 700's and have baddies or BK's or what not and be declined due to those reasons.  I think it is the overall report lenders look at rather than just the score and look at the complete picture.  Ya it is nice seeing a high score, but I look more at what is in my credit report or others reports as I find that more important than a Fico or Fako score.

This is so true! Couldn't have said it better. I speak from experience that it's important to know what is in your CR's from each CB.

I could go into my journey with my credit but this post would be too long. However I will say I was not educated in the area of my credit reports and scores until probably the last 10 years. I'm 45. Unfortunately right out of high school I was given about 4 or 5 CC's that I maxed out by the time I was 25, probably about 30k in debt. During that time I did manage to get a used car loan. Never looked at scores yet alone a CR. I only earned about 15k. I got a another job to help pay down the debts. Somehow I managed to get some of it down.

Spin forward to about 27 I got a good paying job making 10k more than what I was previously earning. Unfortunately I was already up to my ears in debt. At this point I met someone and got married. Turned out to be a horrible decision and we divorced. She screwed my credit in a couple ways but didn't know about it. My bills mounted and I couldn't get out of debt even with contacting credit company for assistance. So I filed for a BK.

At this point my scores were probably somewhere south of 600. About 6 months later I started receiving credit card offers. So I got a couple CC's. Keep in mind I really wasn't educated in credit even up to this point. I'd say about 6 months later I actually pulled and looked at a CR. I was sort of shocked. I knew it was bad. With a BK I thought I was still south of 600. To my surprise I was a little over 600. I guess with a couple cards getting my feet wet again helped. I hadn't missed any payments and only 1 card had a small balance. I didn't even realize I was doing what I should have been doing all along.

I'd say maybe a year later I realized by more CR's that my ex had screwed me by allowing the vehicle I co-signed get REPO. I was livid. Either I didn't see it before or it didn't show up right away but there it was. She had also used checks from an account that was closed. Needless to say these bounced and were on my report because my name was on the account.

So not only did I still have the BK but now I had a handful of derog and neg items. That's when I found this web site and the forums. I joined and tried to educate myself with as much information as I could about everything. Wow was I way so uneducated up to that point.

I did get a couple things fixed on my CR's but a couple things were still there and had to fall off. Yes I made good on paying those bad checks and even the repossessed vehicle. I decided I wanted to change my life by correcting the mistakes I made with my credit. Just as a reference point my scores went from about 620 up to about 680-700 with fixing a few things on my CR. I couldn't believe how much the scores improved by fixing a few things.

I did get married again, even bought a house together and eventually we got a divorce but she didn't screw my credit. My scores when we got the house were around 725. Fortunately I pay attention to everything now on my credit. I still have 1 thing that hasn't fallen off but hoping that goes next year.

Through all of it my scores probably went from the 500's to now they are 770. My goal is 800+ and my FAKO's on CK actually are there. Reality is my FICO scores are not. I have found them to be about 30-50 points less than my FAKO. Just got 2 new cards and those pulled all 3 CB. The FICO's were about 770. From where I came from I'm great with that but I keep wanting to push to that 800 club officially. The bottom line is knowing what is in your reports are much more important imho than the scores themselves.

Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/03/2016 Discover IT, AMEX BCP, CITI DC, CAP1 QS, Chase Freedom Unlim, PNC

New Contributor

There have been times where my scores from credit karma are literally almost 100 points lower than my actual Fico scores. Not kidding

Bofa now reports fico scores... and it's says I'm at 712.. not sure if Transunion or not.. but they are using the fico 8 ...I know for sure I'm at a 667 with Transunion. . Credit karma  had me at 695... Tu 

New Contributor

Lisaazo30 wrote:

Bofa now reports fico scores... and it's says I'm at 712.. not sure if Transunion or not.. but they are using the fico 8 ...I know for sure I'm at a 667 with Transunion. . Credit karma  had me at 695... Tu 

BoA is TU FICO 8. Credit Karma is VantageScore 3, not FICO.

Regular Contributor

I have posted my experiance on here previously but I have a question. who or what model does cap1 use? I got my fico8 scores from CCT and they were TU624-EQ648-EX658...On a denial from cap1 at the same period they ran my TU and it was 660 and EX was 662....any clue why? EX was pretty close but TU was way off!! 

STARTING SCORES-5/2015 TU:492-EQ:502-EX:511----FICO8-7/12/16-TU:649-EQ:634-EX:651

Is there any bank that actually uses vantage score?

Chase Freedom 2000
Chase Slate 2500
Boa Cash Rewards 1000
Citi Diamond Pref. 1000
Citi Simplicity 1000
Discover
Us Bank
Valued Contributor

Funny thing was my when my fakos were up, my ficos were down.  I mostly used Creditkarma as you can see your 2 full reports.  Now that my ficos are up, my fakos are lower than them.  Very stranage.  I still check Quizzle, Credit.com, & Creditsesame since they/re free and do monitoring also. They're still not as high as my ficos.  I guess I will have to purchase them on here to see my fico 9 scores.   I use Experian as I can get an up to date score every day or 1/2 day.  And if I want all three, I pay.  Since most seem to pull EX, I thought it was the best choice since it started as my lowest score.  

FICOS: EQ-812 TU-811 EX-818 Goal - 840-850 Across The Board
Total Credit Lines - 506K Gardening....
"I am the master of my fate and the captain of my destiny" Nelson Mandela
Regular Contributor

On Credit Karma's score simulator, pretending to add a new card with a limit of $1,000,000 increased my score.

But wait! There's more!

Pretending to add a card with a $10,000,000 limit predicted a drop of 40 points! Smiley Surprised

EX08: 731 | EQBankcard08: 752 | TU08: 803 | Total Utilization: 1% | Total Credit Limit: $26,900
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 9.47.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 9.48.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-27 at 9.50.19 AM.png

I don't have access to my FICO 8 EQ, but my FAKO and FICO are pretty comparible.

Regular Contributor

My FAKO  and FICO are pretty far apart.

Credit Karma

TU - 702 

EQ - 608

MY FICO

EX - 640

TU - 631 

EQ - 593

Starting Scores: 1/1/16 FICO 08: [EQ-583] [TU-587] [EX-582]

Current Scores: 3/26/17 FICO 08: [EQ-649] [TU-644] [EX-646]

Total Available Credit: $67,100 plus a hidden $11,000 LOC

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.