Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Member

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

Be aware that auto lenders also pull a completely different score.  Same for mortgage lenders.  The auto and mortgage scores will give you a better score if there are auto loans or mortgages on your credit report - in good standing of copurse.  So, if a person's score is overall kinda low, if they had previous auto loans in the past that show on-time payments, then the auto loan score will be higher - and vice versa of course.

I'm pretty sure that you can pay a little extra on myFico to get these a la carte scores.

Established Member

I agree.  Regardless what I did, I could not get my scores out of the high 500's.  I finally got my FICOs and what a drastic difference - 50 points higher.

I too wonder if CK keeps the lower scores even lower so that people will take advantage of those high interest cards and loans on  the site for which I'm sure they get a kickback.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interestingly enough, and I think this goes with the previous post, I recently found out that my "FAKO" score on CK for EQ was LOWER than my real FICO EQ score!

Here's how it happened. I went to PenFed last month to apply for a used-car loan. I assumed from CK that my TU and EQ scores were both in the 660-670 range. When I sat down with the loan officer, she approved my loan right away and when she gave me the paperwork, I was astounded to find out that my FICO EQ score was 690, at least 20 points higher than I had assumed it would be from CK! It makes me wonder what my actual TU and EX scores are (CK says my TU score is now 676 and USAA says my current EX score is 660).

UPDATE 3/21: Having applied for and been approved for Discover It, I just checked CK and I see that my FAKO EQ score has dropped from 691 to 688.

Rebuilding credit since 2015 (BK filed 8/14, discharged 12/14) - started out in 570's, now approaching 700 (FICO 4/17:TU 627/EX 662/EQ 659 FICO 8 690 NG 2, VS 3.0 4/21/17: TU 684/EX 684/EQ 691)! $951 Cap One secured/$3000 Cap One unsecured/$800 Amazon Prime Store Card/$2500 Discover It (NEW 03-21-17)/$10k PenFed used car loan/$5k Navient student loan. In the garden until Sept. 2017 unless I get an offer I can't possibly refuse...
New Contributor

Contrariwise to my previous report, here's a quick note about how the FAKO (in this case Vantage) score can be deceptively higher than your actual FICO.

In this case, it's TU. Most places - CK, Cap One, Nerdwallet, etc. - have given my current TU score as 676. Synchrony HP's and SP's TU, from what I can tell. Last week I tried applying for a CLI on my Amazon store card and got turned down flat as a pancake; fortunately it was a SP. I'm still waiting for the denial letter, but when I looked at my FICO TU score on Synchrony the other evening, I discovered that that score is...630. This is a whopping 46 points lower than any other site reports, and goes quite a ways to explain why I didn't get the CLI.

Rebuilding credit since 2015 (BK filed 8/14, discharged 12/14) - started out in 570's, now approaching 700 (FICO 4/17:TU 627/EX 662/EQ 659 FICO 8 690 NG 2, VS 3.0 4/21/17: TU 684/EX 684/EQ 691)! $951 Cap One secured/$3000 Cap One unsecured/$800 Amazon Prime Store Card/$2500 Discover It (NEW 03-21-17)/$10k PenFed used car loan/$5k Navient student loan. In the garden until Sept. 2017 unless I get an offer I can't possibly refuse...
Valued Member

My EQ and TU FAKO scores are 628 and 630 when my actual FICO 8 scores are hovering around 711 right now. That's just over 80 points higher then my FAKO scores!
Starting Score: EX:718, TU:708,EQ:678
Current Score:EX:721, TU:715,EQ:720
Goal Score: 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor

I just got that denial letter on my CLI attempt from Synchrony and my actual, current TU FICO score as of 3/24 is 627. Those dolts can't even be bothered to keep the score current on their own website... Smiley Mad

Frequent Contributor

We went car shopping awhile back and the lender Bank of American and a credit union pulled my husband's credit and it came out to 728. Fico 8 through AmEx had him at 703. Credit Karma had him at 680. 

Crazy how much the scores differ.  Just a heads up. 

CK is always lower for us. They'll have us at about 670-680 while our Fico 8 is about 700 or more. 

Im new to myFICO Forum "Hi". Reading all these top post and came across this one. After reading it I do have my own instance. I use creditkarma and have noticed that my score is like always 60 points lower than what it actually is through that site. Has anyone else noticed this? CapitalOne free score also is lower. American Expess I have noticed seems to be the closest to my true FICO score when I run my own report. 

Established Member

No matter where I get a FAKO score, I always seem to run into the same problem. My dad and I share our name and for most of my life, we also shared an address. My FICO scores are normal and my credit reports accurate, but whenever I sign up for a FAKO score, one or more of his cards impact my score. Namely, he has a Macy's card that they always seem to think is mine. FAKO scores therefore estimate my length of credit to be longer than my length of life! And no, he has never added me as an authorized user to that account.

Regular Contributor

CK has me at 726/729 

I love seeing it even though I know it's not real.

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015: EQ 588/TU 552/EX 570
March 2017: EQ 681/TU 659/EX 674

CreditOne $2200/Merrick $1700/Discover IT $3800/Target $1300/NFCU CLOC $2000/NFCU Cash Rewards $1000/PenFed Power Cash Rewards $2000/Total Utilization 5%

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.