Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FINGERHUT - to CLOSE or not to close ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FINGERHUT - to CLOSE or not to close ?

So, long story short -- I was approved in Nov 14 for a $300 Fresh Start.  Charged a $250 item, Paid for 5 months to show history, then paid off early and was graduated to revolving.  . at ONLY $250!!!  They decreased me after paiyng on time and then early!  Now, been at $250 since Feb when I graduated.. their executive team contacted credit director on my behalf and they wont budge from $250.  "All accounts are reviewed 10 times a year blah blah blah *#&$%^ !"  LOL.  I just lost it on the executive care guy, feel bad but come on!!!  My other lines are:

Barclay Apple VISA:  $3,000 ---- $2600 balance / Financing imac 

Western FCU:  $1,000  ---   $0 balance

Capital One QS1:  $1,000 --- $299 balance / 0% APR til 3/16

CareCredit:  $3,000 --- $1299 balance / o% APR

Credit One:  $600 --- $156 balance 

Even Credit ONE gave me more!  SO do i CLOSE FingerHut and tell them to get lost, or keep it open to help my UTIL by $250 monthly LOL and keep it a $0 balance??  I find it absolutely ABSURD they wont assist me and raise my line to at least $500 !  I explained that putting anything on the card pretty much maxes it out, hurting my score!!!  Such a twsited company.   FYI Scores are TU 586 EQ 600  EX  622 as of today on FICO up from low 500s when they opened me  .. thanks all :-)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FINGERHUT - to CLOSE or not to close ?

I saw close the sucker.  A credit line of $250 won't have much effect judging by your current line up.  You have moved unto better things so YES, nip it.

Message 2 of 8
ddemari
Super Contributor

I agree, at first I didnt mind fingerhut because I didnt have a lot of cards. They raised my credit line a lot and then started to raise it and take it away. Their merchandise is way over priced on a vast amount of products. A 250 CL wont really do any damage to your utilization. Id close it and rid myself of the nuisance. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started at $500 in April then was increased to $1100 in June. I purchased a laptop and made multiple payments a month. 

Message 4 of 8
Jeff532003
Frequent Contributor

I have mine open with a 1.7k cl. I haven't purchased anything in almost a year. The minute they decide to lower my limit is the minute I close the account. In your case it's hard to say. You have the line open which is helping grow your positive history but at the same time it's a tiny limit and they won't work with you. I'd probably close it myself.
Capital One Venture- 10k, Quicksilver 3.5k, QS MC- 5.8 k, Venture One 5k| Chase Amazon 2k | American Express PRG- NPSL, JetBlue TrueBlue-2k | Bank of America Cash Rewards- 2k | DIscover IT- 1.3k | Barclay's Rewards MC- 1.3k | Greylock FCU (elan)- 500 | BJ's Perks Mastercard 3k | Overstock - 1k| Express - 750 | J Crew 4.3k | Orbitz Visa 2k| Walmart 700 |
TU FICO 5/14 - 520 | FICO 2/15 - 704 | FICO 6/21 - 702 |
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CL is pretty much meaningless. Use your money else where. But If you don't pay any fee on it, keep it open to help with your AAOA. It's basically worthless, but it does help with aging. Don't hurt yourself just because you're upset. Just don't spend anothe penny with them. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree ^^
Message 7 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

With that limit, the impact to util will be so minimal it will be irrelevant. I'd close it.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.