Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIRED!! That felt good.

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: FIRED!! That felt good.

I'm very happy for you and think you made a great decision dumping underperforming cards. There's too much of that never close a card mentality around here sometimes. Also you'll be able to get cards even better than those in the future surely. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get to where you wanna be with your credit.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 21 of 31
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm very happy for you and think you made a great decision dumping underperforming cards. There's too much of that never close a card mentality around here sometimes. Also you'll be able to get cards even better than those in the future surely. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get to where you wanna be with your credit.

Absolutely.

I just closed Apple when I got Sallie Mae... and I also closed my 76 and Chevron gas cards.  All 3 were 12-16 months old and won't get used again.  I'm a firm believer in the if you don't have use for the account to close the account mentality.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 22 of 31
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Checked my now closed GM online account today. What A Relief!

v.jpg

Message 23 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Congrats!! It feels great to close out accounts you no longer want/need. A streamlined portfolio is the way to go!

Message 24 of 31
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Congrats!! It feels great to close out accounts you no longer want/need. A streamlined portfolio is the way to go!

Yep, that's the plan. Do you know how many you can safely close at a time? I'm guessing it's as many as you want as long it it doesn't effect your utilization?!?

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 25 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You can close as many as you want. At some point it could effect your utilization, but many people on here are way too paranoid about this IMO. You can try and get a CLI on a couple cards which you do plan to keep to soften the utilization blow, and then close what you don't want. I stand by the fact that there is little to no reason to keeping accounts you won't use. The util and AAOA "benefits" are overblown around here, I think. Who wants to track/manage/keep active 5, 10, 15 unused accounts? Some people on here have many accounts they admit to not even using. That's fine, it's a personal decision, but it's not necessary in my opinion. Yes, your score may dip a little but it will recover and you will not have accounts you don't need.

Message 26 of 31
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

You can close as many as you want. At some point it could effect your utilization, but many people on here are way too paranoid about this IMO. You can try and get a CLI on a couple cards which you do plan to keep to soften the utilization blow, and then close what you don't want. I stand by the fact that there is little to no reason to keeping accounts you won't use. The util and AAOA "benefits" are overblown around here, I think. Who wants to track/manage/keep active 5, 10, 15 unused accounts? Some people on here have many accounts they admit to not even using. That's fine, it's a personal decision, but it's not necessary in my opinion. Yes, your score may dip a little but it will recover and you will not have accounts you don't need.

Yep...

I closed 3 cards and lost $3400 in CL... And opened 4 cards gaining $15.7k in CL as well as 2 CLI worth another $3700.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives...

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 27 of 31
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Yep...

I closed 3 cards and lost $3400 in CL... And opened 4 cards gaining $15.7k in CL as well as 2 CLI worth another $3700.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives...

Well I have my 6K NFCU LOC should be reporting soon. That was only $400 worth of credit I just closed and I have about 5 more cards totalling $2,650 currently on probation and in line to get fired very soon. I really wanted to app for AMEX early next year but I may drop some of these cards and garden for the year. 

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 28 of 31
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@MaisCher wrote:

Well I have my 6K NFCU LOC should be reporting soon. That was only $400 worth of credit I just closed and I have about 5 more cards totalling $2,650 currently on probation and in line to get fired very soon. I really wanted to app for AMEX early next year but I may drop some of these cards and garden for the year. 

I went 6 for 6 with the 4 new account apps and 2 CLI requests.  All instant approvals with no denials.

Probably had something to do with the fact I gardened for a year and had no INQs or new accounts.

Message 29 of 31
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

My most satisfying firing ever!

Of course I did break down and rehire them temporarily...  Smiley Sad  Smiley Very Happy

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.