Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIrst Credit Card?

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: FIrst Credit Card?

like others i suggest a Cap1 Plat card (regular card) and a GE store card you frequent. Walmart is a good choice because they are everywhere, you can use them a Murphy USA gas stations, Sam's Club (&gas station), and if you sign up for e-statements then you get free monthly TU FICO score.

I would also suggest checking out some local CU's. You have a good enough score to qualify for a card at a CU b/c most of the time they are more lenient/personable.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 11 of 40
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Another easy cc to obtain is Sears. Limits start low but increase exponentially with use. They gave me my first card over 35 yrs ago.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 12 of 40
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Why Capitalone ?????? Most of us here try to get rid of Capital One but why would you guys suggest Crapy One.......I mean his/her change get approved for capital one is high but the card would never grown with you no matter what you do ,......yeah no matter what you do.......stuck with €500 limit...........and in this time about next year you would consider why I  get this Capital One in the first place ??? I mean yeah of course they help us rebuild credit but there must be a lot of great cards out there.......

not personally but I would suggest you get 

1. Walmart Card

2. Your local bank credit card ( whoever you bank with) not a Secured CC . If they ever denied you then go for Secured therefore only one hard pull. 

3. Credit Union

4. Secured Credit card put down 2k 5 k or whatever as much as you want but

STAY AWAY FROM CRAPPY ONE

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 13 of 40
JustinNguyen
Contributor

If you have 2k then make deposited to bank of Americaand open secucard credit card with them. After 1 year you make on time payment. They'll return your money and change to unsecured credit card.(you have to call them and request after 1 year). 2 card Walmart is good. Dont listen and open cap1 you will get stuck with 500 or 750 credit limit forever . When you apply for another card. Or apply for a loan. Lender will look at your credit limit. They will not give you more credit or... Because theythink you can not handle big credit. Get out cap1 if you can

Message 14 of 40
FIcohelp007

@Dustink wrote:

Besides crap1 who do you bank with? Sometimes you can get the best card from going into a local bank branch whom you have your paychecks going through.

I do bank with a credit union, I will go talk to them about getting a card also, probably instead of the GE card, I just dont think I would use the GE card at all, I never go to walmart, I'll check the GE site and see if there are any other retailers they have that I may use.

Message 15 of 40
distantarray
Established Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

STAY AWAY FROM CRAPPY ONE

I agree stay away from Capital One til your in your prime territory. If you want a Venture card go for it but that's not til your scores are built up. They 3x credit pull one on each bureau. Although for rebuilding purposes it's not bad to have one, but this will definately not grow with you. You'll outgrow it eventually and will sacrifice AAOA when you cancel them. Only thing that's good to have Capital One for is to help other people, through adding them as an Authorized user. They report EVERYONE. So for that purpose if you like to help friends and family might be worthwhile.

Try finding a good credit union locally, or nationally. DCU is a great one to get in with (takes $10 donation to charity to get in) but they give you a free Fico 04 EQ score (same one purchased here) monthly , and their cards graduate and they're very good credit union that will grow with you. 

Graduate means the secured cards will become unsecured and you'll get your deposit back.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 16 of 40
FIcohelp007

oh my, two posts in a row saying to stay away from Cap one.  I have been thinking about moving away from Cap one as my bank, only reason I have them is because they bought out my local bank last year.

I like the Bank of America idea, maybe I will just switch banks to them and then get a secured credit card with 2k limit and hopefully get it moved to a unsecured card after a year.

Looks like the choices I am leaning towards now are:

1) Check with my CU and see if I can get a card through them

2) Look at a GE card with a retailer I use

3) Move my banks to Bank of America and get their secured card with a 2k limit.

Message 17 of 40
distantarray
Established Contributor

@FIcohelp007 wrote:

oh my, two posts in a row saying to stay away from Cap one.  I have been thinking about moving away from Cap one as my bank, only reason I have them is because they bought out my local bank last year.

I like the Bank of America idea, maybe I will just switch banks to them and then get a secured credit card with 2k limit and hopefully get it moved to a unsecured card after a year.

Looks like the choices I am leaning towards now are:

1) Check with my CU and see if I can get a card through them

2) Look at a GE card with a retailer I use

3) Move my banks to Bank of America and get their secured card with a 2k limit.

Honestly I'd stay away from Bank of America and go with Chase. Chase the number 1 bank in America now and dethroned Bank of America. Because of Bank of America's purchase of Country wide I feel they are not as finacially stable as they claim to be, they are on the frontiers of new charges to customers, Chase is on the frontier for innovations. Also Chase offers better packages and benefits.

Also don't forget if you sign up with Chase you can get coupons for $200 bonus for signing up with their checking you can still redeem, if you don't have one you can get one on Ebay for $9.50 (already used 3 yesterday for friends/family) so I can vouch they still work.

Personally I don't want to bank with anyone who called the SWAT team on their customers for wanting to close their accounts about this time last year.

http://business.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474980498990

I been with Bank of America for 13 years and they still wanted to charge me $12 for a Cashiers check.... and I have over $50,000 in my accounts. No thank you.

Just get a Chase account collect extra money, and extra bonuses if you ever decide to go down the Freedom / Sapphire road, and btw Chase has more ATM's than Bank of America. All Walgreens have Chase ATM's making it easy to access your account in a clean bright place even at 3am.

Chase for local bank, Digital credit union for your secured cards that'll grow with you + your free Fico scores monthly.  PSECU if your a resident of PA

Oh I forgot to mention if your overdraft by 1penny you'll get charged $35 with bank of America, Chase will waive fees under $5 of overdraft, you also get the option to have the debit card DECLINED so you don't accidently pay $35 for a diet coke.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 18 of 40
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Yeah, stay away from Cap One. Also, reconsider the Walmart card for the free TU08 FICO score and soft CLI's down your rebuilding road.
Message 19 of 40
codimom
Frequent Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

Another easy cc to obtain is Sears. Limits start low but increase exponentially with use. They gave me my first card over 35 yrs ago.

wow how times HAVE changed.  Back when I was first starting out, Sears was THE hardest store card to get.  If you could get a sears card then, you could get ANY Card.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.