Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIrst Month with AMEX Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FIrst Month with AMEX Platinum

I wanted to share my experience with the AMEX Platinum through the first month.

Concierge: I tried to get a reservation online through opentable.com at a pricey steakhouse for Valentines Day.  The service returned no available tables within 2.5 hours of your request. So, I called the concierge and told them what I wanted and they placed me on hold for about 5 minutes.  When the lady returned she was able to place my reservation.

Membership Rewards: When I received the card, I called the MR department and asked what sign-up incentives I had regarding points with my new card. The rep. said I had no incentives. When I explained that I had read there was a sign up bonus of 25k points on various blogs online if you spend 1k in the first three months, she said I would need to write a formal letter to the corporate office to request the incentive.  So I wrote the letter, and within 2 weeks they had written me back and the points where in my membership rewards bank.

In addition, on my quest to earn as many points as possible, I've been going on the membership rewards website to check the point incentive offers.  Amex offers 4x points on virtually every retailer you can imagine.  I've found myself shopping for things I'd normally purchase by just walking in online instead, doing store pick up, and receiving 4x points for the purchase. I was also to get 10x on replacement ink for my printer, some wine, and valentines day flowers. During my first month I earned 2950 extra points on top of what I spent.

Customer Service: This is one of the more notable differences I've come across about this card.  I've called about 5 times with questions, and the hold times are virtually non-existent.  The reps are also super motivated to help you. The best way I can describe it is it's full service customer service.  For me, and my low level of patience for having to call CS for anything, I really appreciate this about the card, and I have never minded paying for good service.

Pitfalls: The card has been blocked twice on fraud alerts for small amounts at Target, and 1800 flowers. This was super annoying to have to call and take care of this.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FIrst Month with AMEX Platinum

Ive had the card for a little over a month also.

I posted a story how the concierge couldnt compare to visa signatures concierge. Its good that they came through for you.

With points, they have a 3k in 3 months for 50k points. I spent that in a week and sent them a SM and had the points clear withing 4 hours. They also gave me a few additional points though im not sure why. With the online mall, the few times I can find what im looking for its much more expensive. They used to have ebay which would have been great. I do a lot of shopping at amazon but amazon doesnt participate in any rewards program but their own.

With CS, I share your experience. No hold times, fast and efficient. My card has also been denied twice for charges. A quick call solves this but ive never had a card denied at all before platinum.

Make sure to sign up for priority pass, SPG gold, the rental car programs, and any other free memberships they offer.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for your response Tanner. I have signed up for the hotel,lounge, and car incentives. I would like to sign up for the advanced airport clearance program, I think it's called onepass or something but I no longer live near a participating airport where they conduct the interviews.

It sounds like I sold myself short on the rewards incentive!

As for the card being blocked, the call goes to outside of platinum service department and there are hold times (when I called).  I didn't mind paying with debit instead, but I wanted my points....arrrrgh

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for your response Tanner. I have signed up for the hotel,lounge, and car incentives. I would like to sign up for the advanced airport clearance program, I think it's called onepass or something but I no longer live near a participating airport where they conduct the interviews.

It sounds like I sold myself short on the rewards incentive!

As for the card being blocked, the call goes to outside of platinum service department and there are hold times (when I called).  I didn't mind paying with debit instead, but I wanted my points....arrrrgh

Global Entry. You submit an application, pay, then schedual an interview. The nerest office is 6 hours away from me. Still debating if I should hop on a 45 min flight to ATL and take the interview or not. It would be very helpful as you now get to keep your shoes on, liquids in, belts on, ect.

I have never had my call go to any other dept but the platinum help desk.

Message 4 of 11
CS800
Super Contributor

So far the benefits I have gotten from the card have negated the $450 AF. I cannot put a $$ value on the convenience while travelling or even the conceirge. Love it

Message 5 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Well I'm glad to hear your positive reviews as I plan on adding more amex products if the need arises. So far with ATT Rep was Noob when trying to run card, he didn't know the security code was on the front and he tried to pay my bill three times with wrong security code. I ended up going online and paying with no issues after clearing the fraud alert. Still getting used to sync, but I like it so far!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 11
birjest
Frequent Contributor

This is some GOOD INFO!!! It is great to hear from those who have the card.  Some people fret over the annual fees, but for what you are getting in return, those perks sure negate the af.

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@birjest wrote:

This is some GOOD INFO!!! It is great to hear from those who have the card.  Some people fret over the annual fees, but for what you are getting in return, those perks sure negate the af.

1 Fine hotels and resorts stay will kill the AF. This is due to getting an upgrade on check in. From my recent searches the ugrade price can be several hundred more a night but you get it for the same price as the room you booked.

Message 8 of 11
TM82
Regular Contributor

It's good that you guys like your Platinum so much.  I ended up canceling mine within 1 month of receiving it for a few reasons.

1.  I was in the group of people (you can see stories of it on other sites) where they offered 50,000 points for 1,000 spend in 3 months.  Reached the spend, they only gave me 25,000.  I called about it, on 3 different occassions they changed the story.  First guy said it was for new American Express cardholders only.  2nd guy said that it was for 1st time Platinum cardholders.  I told him that I was.  He puts me on hold, then they came back and said that i wasn't targeted so they offer me a courtesy 25,000 since that's what my account was notated that I was eligible for.

2.  The first card they sent me they put extra spaces between my first and last name which caused problems ordering online. 

3.  The first card they literally superglued the card to the mailer.  Removing the card they card still had the tape on the back.  No amount of Goo Gone, nail polish remover, etc could take it off.

4.  For a card that has an AF of $450, it's made very poorly.  I used it a few times and the numbers started to rub off.

So I called and canceled it.  But at least I got one good thing out of it, it did add to my AAoA, so I'll take that. 

As for the bonus points, most often the 4x you get from American Express Membership Rewards Mall you can do better if you shop through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall.  With American Express it's 4x the total bonus, where as the number quoted on the UR mall it's EXTRA points so you get the base 1 + whatever the bonus is.  Plus no excise tax when I transfer to a FF program.

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 9 of 11
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, the point bonus is nice, but really isn't the main reason most sign up for the Platinum.

For me, the free business class companion ticket, $200 airport fee & lounges, plus 20% MR First bonus when buying tickets through the site with points makes it a tremendous value.

I've never used the concierge or special services, but I do like how the upgrades to hotel status and car rentals.  Also, with the business Platinum, the worldwide access to Regus virtual office is very nice.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.