Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNBO CLI and word of caution.....

tag
TheDjinn
New Contributor

FNBO CLI and word of caution.....

Back story..... I applied and was approved for these cards from end of Jan2013 to mid Feb2013:

Discover IT

Amex Surpass

Chase HHonors Reserve

Express

Now I have a 2 year old FNBO Platinum Max Rewards card with a limit of 10k with no balance for about 3 months with a 2k increase back in Sept 2012.  I went on their site last Monday and saw a Limit Increase request button and saw what I needed to fill out. Nowhere does it mention that there would be a hard pull if required and like a dummy I assumed for some reason they would do a soft pull and at least ask my permission if they need to do a hard pull. Not to mention, I broke a cardinal rule, which is never ever, evereverevereverever, do anything credit related without consulting the MyFico Forum shrine! Anyways it was too late, I requested an additional 6K and submitted it and got the 5-10 day letter. Then I realized why I didn’t research this before I submitted. I didn’t really need the increase but thought maybe I’d give it a shot and enhance my util further. Anyways, I have read from numerous experiences that FNBO is inq sensitive, picky about new accounts, etc etc, and that they always do hard pulls for CLI’s on their website. Not less than 10 minutes did I call a rep to confirm if it was a hard pull, which it was. I felt like slapping myself. She asked if I wanted to cancel the request but told her that it might as well go through since I already took the hit. I was pretty confident I wouldn’t get that increase, and after 3 days of checking online to see if maybe it went through, it felt more and more futile……….until today when I saw the increase! Ahh now the hit feels justified. Anyways, the point is, I added 4 new accounts with 3 inquiries and FNBO was able to grant my request, but most importantly, do the research before getting hit, but most of you know this. Good luck!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: FNBO CLI and word of caution.....

I agree always do the research 1st 

Glad it worked out for you congrats

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

We all know we should look before we leap, or at least check into this stuff. However, the temptation is sometimes too strong! Glad it worked out in your favor though!

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats at the CLI! Lol @ 'I felt like slapping myself'....boy have I been there at times. 😔
Message 4 of 6
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Anytime you anything remotely credit related assume there will be a hard pull and pleasantly surprised when there isn't.  It's getting more and more unusual to get consumer initiated CLI's with SP's.  It's also getting more and more common for multi-CRA pulls for new accounts. 

Message 5 of 6
andre181
Established Contributor

Congrats on the increase. 

But yes, FNBO online CLI requests are ALWAYS HPs. Over the phone though, it is a SP if you are "preapproved" (the rep will always in my experience use the term preapproved). If you ask via phone and the system doesn't have an immediate offer for you, I assume its a HP.

Usually you can get SP CLI via phone every 4 months. That has been my experience at least.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.