Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRAUD ALERT!! Someone went to town with my AMEX

tag
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

FRAUD ALERT!! Someone went to town with my AMEX

So yesterday around 5:00PM I was laying around watching TV when Amex called me and asked me if I went to ULTA Cosmetic store 15 minutes ago and spent $102.00 and my Fiance usually shops there so i went and asked her if she went there today and she said no and the guy said there has been some unusal activity on your account today and that transaction has been declined. Then he proceeded to ask me if i went to Toys r us and spent $326.39 and I said no absolutly not then Office Max for $437.19 and finally Bed Bath & Beyond for $152.59. Everything but ULTA was approved but I assured the rep none of those were ours and he said he is going to report fraud on all of these transactions. 

After doing some research i noticed all of those transactions were done in Arizona. I dont understand why Amex wouldnt call me as soon as the first transaction was done in Arizona and ask me if i was there but thankfully it was caught before they could do more damage and I will not be liable of any of these transactions!!

EVERYONE BEWARE!!

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: FRAUD ALERT!! Someone went to town with my AMEX

It's a multi-billion dollar/yr business.  CC fraud that is.  Just be glad it was done with your CC and not your Debit card. 

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 38
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

It's a multi-billion dollar/yr business.  CC fraud that is.  Just be glad it was done with your CC and not your Debit card. 

thats for sure!!

Thats why i never i never use my debit card. 

Message 3 of 38
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@timmis1127 wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

thats for sure!!

Thats why i never i never use my debit card. 

I'm in the process of moving away from 100% debit card use to 100% CC use.  Never thought in a million years I would be saying that, but it's time.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always wonder how their computers detect fraud. I understand the 2 different locations within a short amount of time thing, but what about stores? I went to Ulta for the first time ever to buy my gf something. The bill was not something like $5 or $25 so I expected Amex to deny as ive never shopped at a beauty place. Approved.

Message 5 of 38
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

AMEX computers have some check systems built in. Alot of charging in  a different state or country throws up flags. So would many charges in increasing amounts.  Or in close time sequence, especially if combined with one of the above factors. I have been stopped at a point of purchase and have had to call AMEX, only to find out they suspected fraud. After speaking with the CSR on the phone the rest of my trip was without incident. Sometime BigBrother watching is a good thing...

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 6 of 38
LS2982
Mega Contributor

+1 Repo!! Thats why I love all of my credit cards!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 38
FrugalRican
Blogger

So did I tell you guys about how I went to ULTA with someone else's card number?????

J/k

Honestly, this is why I've definitely dwindled the use of my debit card, other than ATM transactions. For this very reason.

I used to use it all the time online and in restaurants and have just been scared straight after a while.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just wondering, when deciding to change to CC use over Debit would that mean that you leave your Debit at home? or that the Debit card is not used at all?

I actually carry my debit card but I don't use it???

Message 9 of 38
Datx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just wondering, when deciding to change to CC use over Debit would that mean that you leave your Debit at home? or that the Debit card is not used at all?

I actually carry my debit card but I don't use it???

I just leave my debit card at home. I still want a debit card in case I have to pull out cash, but whenever I can swipe my cards, I just use my CCs instead. I rarely carry my debit card.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.