Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTF/Cash Advance Fee

tag
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

FTF/Cash Advance Fee

Greetings all. I've been wanting to order something from an overseas retailer. Their payment options are Visa, MC, money gram and western union. Unsure if I want to pay directly with a CC. I was told if I use money gram/western union I'd be charged with a FTF and if used a card it would be considered a cash advance. Anyone have experience with this? Any help is appreciated.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: FTF/Cash Advance Fee

I have used MC debit with a low balance for this type of situation.

If you do Moneygram / Western Union, using debit / prepaid should avoid the cash advance issue.

Message 2 of 16
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info. Was planning on using my 0% promo to carry the balance a little. Oh well, looks like I'll just pay in full with a debit.

NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 3 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:

Greetings all. I've been wanting to order something from an overseas retailer. Their payment options are Visa, MC, money gram and western union. Unsure if I want to pay directly with a CC. I was told if I use money gram/western union I'd be charged with a FTF and if used a card it would be considered a cash advance. Anyone have experience with this? Any help is appreciated.

why would the visa/mc be considered a cash advance for the retailer?

Message 4 of 16
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:

I was told the cash advance fee would apply if I used a CC card as payment thru money gram or western union. Although if I paid the retailer directly via Visa/MC I'd only be charged a FTF. Just hesitant to use my CC directly with a retailer I have no experience with.

Message 5 of 16
user5387
Valued Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:

I was told the cash advance fee would apply if I used a CC card as payment thru money gram or western union. Although if I paid the retailer directly via Visa/MC I'd only be charged a FTF. Just hesitant to use my CC directly with a retailer I have no experience with.

Cash equivalents like money orders and wiring funds and so on often incur a cash advance fee.

Message 6 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JediNeo wrote:

I MUCH rather use a credit card with the retailer as you have the full protection of your credit card then!

Message 7 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think you actually have way less protection by wiring the money to them, not to mention the fees of doing a cash equivilant!

Message 8 of 16
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Never thought about that. Thanks, I'll pay the retailer directly with my visa.

Message 9 of 16
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

I think my concern dealing directly with the retailer is CC fraud. Lucky I've never had to experience that. In my mind it's easier to lose $x.xx via money gram vs trying to correct issues with possible fraud/ID theft.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.