Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI Beware GAP Store Card - Its now a GAP Visa

tag
spagal
Established Member

FYI Beware GAP Store Card - Its now a GAP Visa

Apparently GEMB has made the GAP store card a GAP Visa which may explain why some people are finding it easier to get approved at Banana Republic and Old Navy.

If anyone else finds that Banana or Old Navy has become a Visa version it might be nice to post here as I think it may make it harder for those of us who are "credit challenged" to get those cards.

BK discharged 7/2010 -
TU 624 8/2010 TU 675 6/2015
EX 664 7/2011 EX???

40 pt climb in 1 year with 3 positive TLs (school loan, auto loan & 1 credit card)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: FYI Beware GAP Store Card - Its now a GAP Visa

I know they offer both at the stores. You can get either the visa or the store card depending on which you qualify for. My sister just got the old navy store card a few days ago.

They still do offer both, the one you get is based on your creditworthiness. 

From Gap application: "APPLICANT SIGNATURE: By applying for this account, I am asking GE Capital Retail Bank ("GECRB") to issue me a Gap credit card or Gap Visa card("Card"), and I agree that:"

Message 2 of 10
spagal
Established Member

Well that stinks because the application is now all electrontic and nowhere did it clearly say that - that took my license, my Visa and had me sign the virtual signature box. It was never asked nor explained that there are two! I guess I need to be more dilegent next time. Thank you.  Maybe the rep gets more credit for a Visa. UGH

BK discharged 7/2010 -
EX 664 7/2011 EX???

40 pt climb in 1 year with 3 positive TLs (school loan, auto loan & 1 credit card)

Message 3 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

My ON is still the store card

Message 4 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

Just curious why is it a bad thing you got the Visa version?

Message 5 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@spagal wrote:

Well that stinks because the application is now all electrontic and nowhere did it clearly say that - that took my license, my Visa and had me sign the virtual signature box. It was never asked nor explained that there are two! I guess I need to be more dilegent next time. Thank you.  Maybe the rep gets more credit for a Visa. UGH

It is explained in multiple places throughout the application. They use one application, and if you qualify for the actual visa card they approve you for that, if they don't, they check your reports/scores against the regular store card, and if you don't apply for that you get denied. It says it at the top, and in the terms and conditions. Haven't you ever seen the human cent-iPad episode of south park? You gotta read these things!!

Gap.png 

Did you apply in store? The applications work the same way there usually. GECRB handles the whole app process, all the rep does is take your drivers license and swipe it for the info and then it gets sent into GECRB's system. The rep at the store might've just not known what they were talking about. My sister tried to apply for the walmart card yesterday (also GE) because she shops there all the time and if you spend $100 or more in your first purchase they give you $20 back, and the cashier at walmart just said "you need to pay first, and then we can do the application" because she was too lazy to do the whole app process. 

Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@spagal wrote:

Apparently GEMB has made the GAP store card a GAP Visa which may explain why some people are finding it easier to get approved at Banana Republic and Old Navy.

If anyone else finds that Banana or Old Navy has become a Visa version it might be nice to post here as I think it may make it harder for those of us who are "credit challenged" to get those cards.

I'm not sure I'm following... Are you saying you got declined at GAP for credit card application and you thought it was because it was for a Visa and not the store card?

They will try to offer Visa first and if you don't qualify for that, it will try to give you store card, if you don't qualify for that you get a flat denied.  I have applied for Gap twice now over the last 9 months and declined both times but at first denial had just been approved for 4 GE and at 2nd denial I started with them and got decline and then went and got approved at 3 GE I believe... so im just crossing gap off my list and if need be ill use my au card i have with gap!

Message 7 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@spagal wrote:

Its entirely possible that you were considered for both the store care as well as the Visa, but were denied due to BK... best bet would be to read the explanation letter which should be coming in the mail.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 10
spagal
Established Member

I am sure it was the BK in general. It's like an albatross. Never mind almost 20 years perfect history. Lots of banks not included but won't touch you. It's like financial cooties.
BK discharged 7/2010 -
EX 664 7/2011 EX???

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@spagal wrote:

Its entirely possible that you were considered for both the store care as well as the Visa, but were denied due to BK... best bet would be to read the explanation letter which should be coming in the mail.

These letters are in the top 3 of WORTHLESS information a bank can send you... They are mostly computer generated and in my opinion from when I long ago I use to send decline letters and I did get to manually choose what reasons went out I had about 15-20 options to choose from and had to select 3-4 reasons.  I think we all know when we have high util. when we have a bk.

And GE is one of the banks that could careless about BK as long as the other factors match up.

I have seen tons of posts that people with 4 inq or something get declined a card then I come in with 25 inq and get approved... don't always happen that way but just furthers my point of pointless info... I mean it was nice of the Gov. to try to get us credit scores when declined BUT someone clearly missed the target when they let banks send ANY form of a score.... what is that stupid score of 000-1100 and I score a 003? WHAT?!?!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.